Tuesday, January 13, 2009

sounds good, but... not so much

Everyone's been blogging about the 5-minute-chocolate-cake-in-a-mug, so against my better judgment I tried it. I know that cooking any kind of pastry thing in a microwave is asking for trouble -- heaven knows I've seen bagels turn into cement in a matter of seconds!

So, I'm sorry to report that this was definitely a flop for me. I did follow the recipe, including the chocolate chips. All the chips ended up in a sticky mass at the bottom of the cup (which is evidenced by the gloppy mess on the front of the plate and the spoon!) The rest of it had a reasonably cakey texture, but only if "cake" and "dish sponge" are synonymous to you. And -- if you don't eat this really fast it only gets worse!

The biggest disappointment was that even though I used really good quality cocoa powder, the chocolate flavor was -- disappointing.

If you really want to try, just google "chocolate cake in mug" and you'll find the recipe and lots of reviews. Ignore them at your own risk!

13 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm not a chocolate eater so didn't try it, but my grandkids thought it was HORRIBLE...they did enjoy making it, but then promptly threw it in the garbage...LOL

Holly said...

I had a similar experience. The taste and texture were disappointing, and the globs at the bottom of the cup were icky.

Helen Conway said...

Why? Why not just tip the packet of choc chips straight into your mouth? Thats less than 5 mins!

Debra said...

Ewww.

Quilt Pixie said...

ummmm yes yours doesn't look that tasty.... I've made it several times and enjoyed it each and every time -- I don't use the chip though, and often substitute cake and pastry flour for the flour.... Add a dolp of ice cream while its hot from the oven and it hits the spot in this house...

Melinda said...

I tried it last week and didn't like it either. The texture was "off". Sounds a lot better than it tastes.

Jeri said...

I got this in my e-mail from 3 different friends yesterday! I was going to ignore it anyway, as the microwave doesn't "work" with "baking" so well...

Julie in the Barn said...

I agree with Helen. Just open the bag of chocolate chips and pour directly into mouth. Baking and microwaves just don't mix. Making pudding, now that's a different story! No more standing at the stove stirring. Just plunk the stuff in a pyrex measuring cup and nuke it. Stir once half way through the time. Maybe a quick stir toward the end and VOILA. Works like a champ.

Oh my...my verification word is fluck. Startled me for a moment there.

miniaturequilter said...

I guess I wont try that one! I love Chocolate too, too bad your cocoa and chips got wasted.

HB said...

I'd probably chop it up and throw it on some good vanilla ice creme! I gave you a blog award today - go check out my blog for the details!

Deborah said...

This will tell you how low my cooking standards are. I liked it. You have to eat it while it's warm and a little whipped cream doesn't hurt. And yeah, I've been known to toss the chocolate chips down straight out of the bag. I can get pretty desperate where chocolate is concerned.

Morah said...

Funny, I got this from my cousin months ago and never tried it. THANK YOU for allowing me to finally delete the email!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Hmm, I"ve often thought about trying it. Good to someone try and it.