Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday

HB gave me this cool award today -- it's my first award. Being the grammar wonk that I am, I really wish it said "knew" instead of "know"... but I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth! The rules are that I'm supposed to pass the award on to 10 more bloggers. My list is pretty long but I thought I'd mention just a few that may not have anything to do with quilting but they crack me up on a regular basis:
Dollar Store Crafts -- lots of fun weird projects
Bye Bye Pie -- I don't know where I found June, but she knocks my socks off
Cake Wrecks -- when professional cakes go horribly wrong...
Kent Kapers -- I want to be just like this when I'm 81!

And -- I actually finished a quilt last night:
This is a little square in a square project from a class years ago. There were lots of little paper-pieced bits, that bored me to death and sat for a long time. I finally finished the top last year, and got it quilted up for my first finish of 2009. The quilting is marginal, so don't look too closely!

Exciting project in the house today -- we had two Sola-tubes installed in our long, dark hallway, and now there is sunlight streaming in! The walls are a light blue and the quilt photo above was taken with no flash. I highly recommend these things; we have one in the master bath, too.
And, a knitty finish to report as well. This is another never-ending project that I finally forced myself to get done with. It's a lace scarf knit out of hemp yarn -- which is kind of like knitting with twine, and I didn't really enjoy it. After you're done, you was the scarf in warm soapy water, and the texture changes to a soft-but-firm and no longer scratchy feel.
Here's a detail. It's not really as pink as this looks; the color above is more "true".

5 comments:

Jeri said...

thanks for the blog links, and by the way, congrats on the blog award! I like your square-in-a-square quilt!

Gina said...

Love the quilt. I can understand how it drove you mad though.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Thanks for mentioning Dollar Store Crafts! :) I LOVE Cake Wrecks, too! So weird and funny.

Vicki said...

It's nice to get those long over due projects completed. I like your colour selection for the quilt. Nice scarf as well. Have you tried knitting with bamboo yarn. I'm not a knitter but I bought some lovely bamboo yarn because the feel of it was so soft and silky. I had a friend knit me up a scarf and it's just lovely. you can see the end result on my blog at http://felinesandfibrearts.blogspot.com/2009/01/bamboo-yarn-scarf-is-finished.html

Guenveur in Kent said...

Thank you, Floribunda. Your blog is beautiful. I'm not a quilter but I do admire the lovely work of quilters like you and my friend Nancy near Philadelphia.