Sunday, December 14, 2008

the usual hodge-podge

A couple of people -- Vicki and Kate have been posting about some long-term cross stitch projects they're trying to finish, so I decided it was time to do the same. This one is pretty old -- 1985 or maybe it was more like 1976 -- it's some adorable Kate Greenaway girls. I ran out of at least one of the colors, or maybe I've just misplaced some of the thread? I keep thinking I'll finally finish it for my youngest niece who is turning 6 at the end of January. Or not.

And this is a project my mother started about 40 years ago. She did a ton of stitchy stuff -- started with knitting, picked up crewel embroidery, cross stitch, needlepoint, crochet, and finally quilting before she died 20 years ago. Garment sewing was the one thing she never got the hang of -- I remember one dress she made where one dart pointed up and the other pointed down! I ended up being the dressmaker in the family and I wish I'd saved a couple of the hideous polyester pantsuits she had me make for her...

Anyway, this counted cross stitch was supposed to end up being a purse. She did about half of what's here, and then decided she just couldn't see the stitches anymore (over 40, ya know?) and I took it over. The canvas is really tiny!

After a while I gave up, too. The black was especially hard to work with, and the whole background was meant to be black! It sat in my cupboard for about 30 years, and then one day I saw a blog post or an article about displaying unfinished projects. I had this wooden tray in the closet, too, which my mother had planned to use for something (She was the original family stasher) and -- voila -- I now have the Poppy Fragment on display in my dining room. So far, no one has volunteered to finish it for me!

I decided about three days ago that I needed to make knit/crochet hats for my youngest brother and 3 kids to go along with the 2 scarves I had already made for SIL and youngest daughter. So, I'm knee-deep in two of them... Al decided he should help and asked me to teach him how to crochet last night. Very amusing, since I crochet left-handed and he's right-handed. I finally dug out a book with pictures! I just could not figure out how to hold everything backwards when trying to crochet into the chain. I think he's master single-crochet now, and the pattern calls for double -- so we'll have another session tonight. Think kind and patient thoughts for me, please!

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

That poppy is beautiful but I can't imagine stitching that small!

Nancy said...

Golly, what zeal! I'm astonished! I just finally made the tablecloth and napkins for my DDIL's Christmas present; have had the fabrics since May and this afternoon got to it. Took very little time and turned out great. Will post pic after Christmas!

Word verification: ketinoc which, obviously, is conitek backwards

HB said...

I have a stuffed animal kit, Andy the Panada I have been hauling around with me since 7th grade. I lost the directions but I still have the kit - maybe, after 30 years I'll attempt to make it!

jovaliquilts said...

Once Al learns, it'll be great to have help. I've heard that it helps to use a mirror when teaching someone of the opposite hand, but I've never tried.

The poppy is gorgeous!

jovaliquilts said...

Forgot to say -- I like your new banner!

katelnorth said...

I adore the poppy - almost tempted to offer to finish it for you - perhaps not with a black background, though! You should really finish the girls, though - it's nearly done anyway...

[ok, my verification word is "dingly" - that made me laugh!]

peggy said...

I have been reading everywhere in blogland about pulling out old projects....I would be tempted to do that too but not this time of year, I think I'd feel way too overwhelmed. As it is it's Christmas Eve and Al's presents are still sitting unwrapped...best get off this computer and go wrap.
Happy Holidays to you and yours Julie...good luck with the crochet lessons...

Peggy