Monday, November 10, 2008

Up and Away

I've been trying to get in a little quality time with my sewing machine, since I'll be leaving town tomorrow and won't get my "fix" for nearly three weeks! I'm taking some yarn-y projects to work on, but it's just not the same.

The photo above is my six "Amish Houses" for this months block lotto. I really hope I win this month -- if I keep saying that, maybe it will happen. I think these are so cute!

And the photo below is my finished "Black and White..." quilt, which I've renamed "Nine Puzzles" because each block has "puzzle" in its name. I quilted this up and finished it quickly when I found out that an old friend had separated from her husband and was trying to set up a new apartment. I was totally surprised when I went to a house-warming, post-election celebration and brought the quilt -- and discovered that her kitchen floor was big black & white tiles, and one wall was painted red! It's a perfect fit. (It's also a sad thing to have happen after they've been together for 20 years... not made much more palatable by knowing that it was her decision rather than his)
Life goes on. We're heading for Auckland tomorrow. Someone told me today that it's pronounced "Oakland" -- which is a funny thing since Oakland is my home town. I guess I'd better finish up the laundry and the packing!

8 comments:

Gina said...

Love the quilt.
Have a good and safe trip

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Shasta said...

I hope your trip is enjoyable!

Vicki W said...

It sounds like your quilt has found a perfect home!

Have a great trip.

Not Lucy said...

Love how the puzzling quilt turned out and also love those houses. I need to make a house quilt one of these days!

Have a great trip!

Elaine Adair said...

Yes, your houses ARe so cute and tidy!

Your quilt is going to be just perfect for your friend. And thanks for the pronunciation for Auckland .. who knew?

Enjoy your time away.

HB said...

Have a great time - we loved New Zeland when we traveled there. The only down side of the whole trip was they tend to put beets on their sandwiches so if you order a sanwich watch out - YUK! : - 0 Otherwise - it was great!

jovaliquilts said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to win those great house blocks! Interesting about how to pronounce Auckland -- I didn't know that! Have a wonderful trip!

jeanne aka nzlstar said...

i just ran across your blog. was interested to read you're now in auckland. i live here. didnt realize Christmas Calico show was this weekend, sadly it is now late sunday afternoon and i've missed it. :(
i was born in Oakland, Calif and lived in the east bay (san leandro, hayward, castro valley) til my late 20's. i married a kiwi and have been here since january '77. Auckland and Oakland are not pronounced the same, unless you're buying a ticket and the person in reservations is having difficulty with your accent. my accent now seems to be a mixture. here they still only hear my american accent and when i go back to the states they as where i'm from. it makes for an interesting convo tho. eh.
sorry i missed a meet up. could have been a good time at the show and sharing quilt ideas over a cuppa. i love 3D and the easy curves you can make with that method. hope you enjoyed your trip here and get a chance to return another time. cheers from Auckland!! jeanne :)