Tuesday, October 14, 2008

fall and family

My youngest brother has four children, and I've made a quilt for the birth of each one. They've taken my instructions to "use them" to heart... they have been dragged around and loved and washed so many times that they're all limp. Of course, when I made the first one almost 10 years ago, I didn't know that you had to actually quilt them with lines closer than 12 inches apart! I took the photo above when I was visiting in Seattle last weekend. It's definitely time to make them some replacements.
This was the first time I had met my youngest nephew -- he's 14 months old now, and a real little devil. Takes after my brother, for sure.
We visited the Ballard Locks, which I'd been hearing about for some time now. This was an interesting wave-crest installation near the entrance to the fish ladder. I loved the shadows these things created.
And here's DH Al with the next older niece and nephew, watching the operation of the locks. The kids have grown up so much since I last saw them and they're a lot of fun to be with, despite their mischievousness!

I managed to visit four quilt shops in my short trip. First was Carriage Country Quilts, just south of the airport. Most of their stock was way too country for me, but I did buy this pattern because I'm a sucker for black and brights, and they had a stunning sample made up.
I wish I'd taken a look at the instructions before I bought it, though, because it looks like you need a degree in mechanical engineering to figure out the bits and pieces... definitely one to work on when there are no distractions!

Next up was Undercover Quilts at Pike Place Market. Wow! There was a lot of very lovely fabric stuffed into a little tiny space. They had a nice section of sale fabrics that included a bunch of batiks at 30% off, and I did succumb to a few of those along with one from the "regular" section. Yum!

Nancy's is a more general fabric store rather than a quilt shop, in the Queen Anne neighborhood. I did a quick tour, but wasn't really inspired by anything I saw.

Finally, I stopped in The Quilt Loft in Ballard, quite close to the locks and near a nice little lunch spot called Kiss Cafe. The shop was very cheerful and friendly, with a good selection of fabric and great samples. Al was with me for this one, and he was intrigued with a bargello quilt on the wall. If I'd had a little extra time I could have done some damage in this shop...

Don't forget the Fall Into Fall swap -- I'll be doing my drawing when I get up tomorrow morning -- that Paciufic Daylight Time -- so you have just a few more hours to leave me a comment here.

7 comments:

Gina said...

I love the pattern you picked up. Definitely a long term project I think.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Kritta22 said...

My mom took that bagello quilt class from that store. We actually have a bagello heart quilt on our wall cuz of that place!! What a small world!!

Vicki W said...

Of course you can make them all new quilts but those are the ones they will carry around forever! I love seeing well-used and loved quilts.

jovaliquilts said...

How much fun to see your quilts have been well loved! I've never been to Seattle but keep thinking I want to go -- your post certainly adds fuel to the fire. Love that complicated quilt you're going to make.

Not Lucy said...

I haven't been to the Ballard locks since I as a kid (probably over 40 years ago). I think it was a school field trip at least once. One of these days we will have to go there when we have some out of town company.

I saw that same pattern at another store down in Tacoma (with a sample made up) during the Shop Hop in June. I was tempted but didn't buy it. I might have to go out and look for it now that I see it again. I really loved it!

I made a quilt for each of my nieces and nephews when they were born. Some had embroidery and when they were well loved the embroidery wore off! They will each get another quilt when the marry and hopefully it will be as well loved but not dragged around as much!

DPUTiger said...

I always hope that the quilts I give away -- particularly to babies! -- meet a fate such as you have described. Oh, and if you happen to see my quilting mojo, please point it east and give it a bit of a shove. I need it!

HB said...

Glad you made it to the quilt store in Pike's Place Market. They were so nice when I was there & had great fabric.