Thursday, September 04, 2008

view from the left

Why should it be a surprise that I have no problem reading quilters' blogs that express political views in line with my own, but when I read a quilter's blog with opposing views I want to yell at them to stop talking politics and delete them from my Google Reader list? I've avoided politics on this blog as far as I can remember, but here it is, folks: I'm a flaming liberal! The thought of four more years of wrack and ruin, four more years of 90% Bush, four more years of hypocritical "family values" and heads-in-the-sand about global warming... and listening to McCain talk about offering people "choice" tonight -- oh I just want to scream!
Whew, now back to quilting. I finished the top for Judy's Labor Day challenge -- there's a little cultural disconnect, since the Molas are from Panama and the border print is supposed to be from Guatemala... but they're both Central America so I figured it was okay, AND it all came from stash. I can't wait for someone to get pregnant so that I can finish this up.

p.s. I haven't actually deleted anyone from my list. It seems petty. There really are some wonderful, talented (Republican) quilters out there... just please don't rub it in my face too much!

10 comments:

dot said...

Wow!! That's quite a post. Where are you finding the Republican quilters? I can't say I have read a single one.

The Calico Cat said...

Ditto what Dot said - & happy about that!

Nice use of the Mola's...

I only leave political comments - in agreement, based upon my first sentence... So many people can express what I am thinking so much better... Like "The Nation" my favorite magazine/news source/onionion paper...

Margaret aka Supermom said...

Amen Sistah!
I'm sick to my stomach listening to those idiots gush over their newest Golden Girl. Hell, my highschool had 2/3 the people of the town for which she was mayor!

Nancy said...

What, you don't want to send it to Bristol and Levi?

Ducking, Near Philadelphia

katelnorth said...

I know what you mean - I do sympathise as well. I try to keep politics off my blog too, but in this spirit of your post, I say that as a flaming liberal myself, this woman McCain has dredged up scares the crap out of me. She embodies everything I dislike about my fellow Americans and none of the things I like about them... I will use my absentee vote to vote as liberally as possible, but frankly, as my home state is Maryland, it won't make any difference.... Sometimes I'm glad to have lived here for 15+ years. Not that we're as liberal as I'd like, but well, you can't have everything, right?

OK, that's done. Whew.

DPUTiger said...

At least I'm finally in Pennsylvania, where my vote might matter. I always felt like it was wasted in Cali, which would go blue whether I voted or not.

I'm actually quite envious of a friend/co-worker. She was essentially unplugged for the last year in lead-up to the Olympics and walked into watch the conventions with a clean slate. In many ways, I think that would be great.

I tried so hard to watch the RNC as carefully and open-mindedly (is that a word?) as I did the DNC, but I just couldn't do it. All I heard was the clumsy speeches and the attacks on the democrats. And I didn't recall that from the DNC tho that could be my bias. Made me wish I could watch the Daily Show, but no Comedy Central in the hotel. Thank God for TiVo!

Exuberant Color said...

The molas look great in the quilt. I have machine embroidery patterns for molas that I want to use for a quilt someday.

Elaine Adair said...

funny - ALL politics remind me of the old fashioned 3-ring circus, or the current WW3 ? wrestling matches some guys watch on TV.

I, unfortunately, don't believe a WORD they say -- just rhetoric - hey, DO something! Mostly I turn off the TV. 8-) (notice how I avoided ANY conneciton with ANY politicians?)

Love those molas - I have a bunch and am still trying to figure how to use them. Good idea.

jovaliquilts said...

No one will complain about your "cultural disconnect" -- it looks great!

I try to keep politics off my blog, too, because if I like someone's quilting, I don't want to know if I hate their politics! I did quit reading one blog where the blogger went on a tirade about global warming and other environmental damage being a hoax. Just didn't want to deal with that person's beliefs anymore.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Love the finished result of your Labor Day challenge!!!

Cheers!
Evelyn