Thursday, September 18, 2008

odds and ends, including New Zealand

First, New Zealand: Al and I are planning a trip there in November before going on to celebrate Thanksgiving and my sister's big birthday in Tasmania. Have any of my faithful readers been to New Zealand? Our itinerary is pretty much open at the moment, so I'm fully open to suggestions of places we must see, restaurants we must try, wine we must drink, and any fabulous crafty stuff I might want to take a detour to. I think we're going to spend most of our time on the South Island, but that's as far as we've gotten, other than the plane landing in Aukland!
I actually have a few things to show off, for a change. Above is a quilt top made of 6" blocks. One of my mini-groups played around one afternoon with black & white and one other color -- my color was orange, as you can see. I made a handful of blocks, and then sent them along to an online group to use as "my" row for a row robin. A few months later... and I had enough to make myself a little halloween-without the skeletons and pumpkins - quilt! Can you tell I love samplers? The border fabric is my favorite -- it's a very rich-looking batik.

Next up is a sneak peek at round two of the spring fling round robin. It went off in the mail yesterday -- can't wait to see what shows up for my next round!
Finally, a little progress on the knitting front -- this is the first of (groan) a pair of Monkey Socks, using the all-knit variation. It's kind of hard to see the texture in this photo. This sock took me forever to make -- it's kind of a lacy pattern and I never did get to the point where I could remember the stitches from one row to the next!
By the way, is there any way to take a picture of your own foot that doesn't make it look either totally deformed or gargantuan? I need to know before I make any more socks!

9 comments:

Not Lucy said...

Use a the timer on the camera and set it up so it gets a picture of your foot?

Love the sampler quilt!

Tami said...

You could always take a picture of your sock-clad feet in the mirror. Hmm, also if you could get a shot of them in the air (while you're sitting on a chair) that would also be nice. Give it a whirl and see how it looks.

Very nice sampler quilt!

And congrats on going to New Zealand in November!! That sounds like it'll be a great trip. :-)

Vicki W said...

New Zealand will be fun! I love your quilt and socks - you have been busy!

peggy said...

OOOH.....I love your orange quilt! You do some great samplers :)

Oh, and NO, I haven't seen the sunflower stamps...I need to get to the post office and get some...

Have a great time in Australia. I don't know a single person who's ever been to Tasmania....

Peggy

Margaret aka Supermom said...

you can email Janice (blog is from the 4SQS blog). She lives in NZ and was my spring partner. I'm sure she'd be happy to pass on local info

DPUTiger said...

Socks on feet: My first suggestion would be to take A LOT of pictures then edit down to the best ones. Try to do it outside in daylight, but not direct sunlight. You can get scary-funky shadows with both direct sunlight and flash photography. Set your feet, put the camera on the ground and take a bunch of slighty different options (you can reach over and hit the shutter button without getting in your own way). It takes a little practice, but it's certainly do-able.

I've never been to NZ but have always wanted to go. I'm quite jealous! :)

GMP said...

What a good idea to use the blocks from your mini group for the round robin. It's looking good,
I am new to blog land, only reading haven't started my own, yet.....
I live in NZ and am excited to be going to PIQF next month. My 1st time to a show outside NZ.
Haven't been to San Francisco for nearly 30 years so looking forward to that too.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Your mini looks great. I love the idea of using b&w with a touch of color!
Have fun on your trip.
Cheers!
Evelyn

Nancy said...

Oh, wow! That Halloween quilt zings!

n, np