Tuesday, August 26, 2008

more of the same

This is the first project I've finished in a while, other than all the small swap quilts. It's made from a set of swap blocks from a small online group, assembled in a sort of random way. It was quilted very extravagantly by my friend Catherine (hi Catherine!) as a break from her law school studies, and it's going to be donated to "Blankies for Grownups" which gives comfort quilts to adults facing serious medical challenges. If you're in the Bay Area, they're always happy to have donations of fabric, blocks, flimsies, completed quilts and your time!
Look, I can do stem stitch after all! Helen turned me on to this African embroidery vendor at Long Beach -- they have the cutest designs, and I have to admit I have a bit of a rhino fetish... but anyway, I used to do a lot of embroidery years ago except that I couldn't get the hang of stem stitch -- and here it is, easy as pie! (they have a whole section of Judaica with folklore designs, too, for those of you who might be interested)

And I leave you with another picture of Bucky -- usually he sleeps on top of the covers, but once in a while he decides to burrow. Silly cat...

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great quilt! This will be a terrific comfort quilt.

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks so much for the African embroidery link! Terrific stuff. I love your rhino.

Wonderful quilt, too, and I'm sure it will be very much appreciated.

Shasta said...

This is a great quilt, and how wonderful of you to share it with others in need. The embroidery is great as well.

DPUTiger said...

That pic of Bucky is just begging for an "I Can Haz Cheezeburger" caption.

So nice to see quilting stuff. I'm starting to get the itch again. Hooray! :)

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I LOVE YOU said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.