Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Let's try this one more time


Yeah -- let's hear it for blogger! It's working today, and I can show you the rest of my pictures. Above and below are the front and back of a shirt for Al -- the last couple of years he's been a judge at the local elementary school science fair and this was a t-shirt he received as a thank-you gift. It definitely need something to "electrify" it -- and I think this fits the requirement! He seemed to be pleased with the bright colors and said he'd try it.
Note to self: remember to keep the rubber gloves on throughout the dyeing process. It weas actually much worse than this at one point, but "Soft Scrub" came to the rescue. Then I soaked my fingers in a bleach & water mix when I got home (followed by a ton of hand lotion) and they're now fine.The final dyeing experiment was a "value parfait" following one of Ann Johnston's recipes in " Color by Accident" -- thanks to Vicki for recommending her books! I did three values of emerald green, and I'm quite pleased with the result. I definitely want to do more of this with more interesting colors.

Last but not least -- here's a look at my little quilt for the Miniature Booty Swap II, which will be mailed off to distant shores in a day or two. I was inspired by the colors of Northern California in summer, with the golden hillsides dotted by groves of native oak trees. I'm calling it "California Hillsides". The pattern arose from one of the "games" in Dianne Hire's "Quilters Playtime" -- a wonderful book!

6 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I love your California Hillsides! I don't have that book, but sounds like it needs to be on my wish list.

The Calico Cat said...

Love that quilt, I'm going to have to check out that book.

Elaine Adair said...

T-shirts are great; hands? uhhh not too much, but the little quilt is wonderful!

Vicki W said...

California Hillsides is wonderful and your dyeing looks great! It's addictive isn't it?

Cher said...

oh, I really like this! lucky swap partner - and the tie dyed shirt came out terrific...nice to hear positive feedback on the books.

Morah said...

Good looking tie dyes! Glad your hands were salvageable! LOL!! I too tend to dye my hands as I forget the gloves!