Friday, August 29, 2008

laboring

Judy issued a challenge for a pretty simple Labor Day quilt, and it was so cute that I had to play along! Her version uses some bright dotty focus fabric, but I thought it would be perfect for this piece of Andover Mola fabric that's been in my stash for a while. I originally bought it to make a BQ quilt, but that never happened...
I'm cutting the animals in wonky shapes, and then the finished blocks are turning out to be 11" unfinished. I figure 12 blocks with a border will make a super baby quilt for the next one that comes along. And, I'll have a few animals left over for another project. It's actually brighter than it looks in this photo.

And, I'm making progress with the Shakespeare/Virginia Reel top -- I had all the blocks sewn into rows and then sat looking at it for a few days trying to figure out why the swirly design wasn't showing up. Duh -- I had carefully arranged all the snails trail blocks, but I forgot that the alternate blocks needed to be arranged, too -- I had all the light background blocks and red background blocks reversed. A little ripping and rearranging, and here it is, ready to be sewn back together!
It is hot, hot, hot here again, and of course we don't have air conditioning. I can't wait for that fog to start rolling in again.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Good fabric for Judy's Labor Day weekend quilt. Your quilt should turn out so cute with the animals. Mine is more on the graphic and bright side. It is going to be fun to see all the different quilts that come out of this simple pattern.

Elaine Adair said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, your Shakespeare!!! Jealousy, thy name is ME!

jovaliquilts said...

What a clever way to use that Andover fabric! I have some of the coordinating fabrics but don't know whether I ever got that one. It'll be a super baby quilt.