Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday

Aren't these beautiful beets? I don't think I've ever gotten beets to grow for me before, but this year everything is doing so well! There were supposed to be some yellow ones in the seed mix, too, but I don't seem to have any... I planted more seeds today. I'm determined to pick the zukes before they become lethal, and so far so good. Today's cherry tomatoes all got eaten (by me) before they made it into the house to be photographed. And, I have a ton of "volunteer" winter squash -- acorns and butternuts -- that are going gangbusters. Yum!

I had an interesting afternoon today. We have a neighborhood association with a Yahoo list, and a week or two ago I noticed a familiar name... so I sent Terri an email and asked if she had gone to Claremont Jr High in about 1966... and it was the same person! She was one of the very first friends I made when my family moved to Oakland and I started Jr. High. She lives about three blocks from me, and we hadn't seen each other since she moved to a different school in 9th grade -- about 41 years (yikes! How can that be?) So we got together for a couple of hours in my kitchen and got partly caught up. We're pretty different, and have lived very different lives, but it was a lot of fun, and we're going to try to round up some of the others from the (very) old crowd and have a reunion!
I'll end on a quilty note. Wanda had a blog anniversary give-away recently, and I was the lucky winner of this wonderful tiny quilt. It's about 8 inches tall, and has lots of itty-bitty stippling! Since I bought another tiny quilt from the Alzheimer's Initiative auction last month, I only need one more to make it a collection, right?

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Your Beetroot and zucchini look good. Do you boil your beets and then skin , slice and cover with vinegar and sugar ? or cook and eat hot ? we call them beetroot in Australia . I particuraly like your itsy bitsy quilt, I think I could make some place mats like that. Have you made quilted place mats? Margaret

peggy said...

Julie.
WOW..those are some good looking beets.....

I love the purple mini quilt too, congrats on winning.

What's with that creature crawling on your header...YUCK!!! LOL
I scroll down real quick so I don't have to look at him much.
Peggy

Faith said...

those beetroot plants have grown so well havent they... congrats on winning that little quilt I think its wonderful quilters can win quilting treasures from other quilters.

jovaliquilts said...

If you're even thinking about another tiny quilt, you're already a collector! How lucky to win on of Wanda's!

Violette Severin said...

Lucky you. I have always like the bowtie block. By the way, I am also having a blogoversary giveaway. Check out my blog at http://handquilting.blogspot.com.

Daybreak*Dawning said...

The joke in Kalama is don't leave your car unlocked in the summer, you will open the door to find the back seat full of zukes :)
Your beets are lovely! KalamaQuilts