Thursday, June 12, 2008

I'm dyeing to tell you...


But first, let me show you the quilt I received from Emma for the first Miniature Booty Swap! It's very cute, with appliquéd leaves in the jewel tones I love... of course I've already signed up for the second round of the swap.
And, I finally spent a day with my sister playing around with dyeing and discharging (yech -- that sounds horrible, doesn't it?!?) She's really into using thiox to remove color from fabric, and it seems you never really know what you'll end up with. I tried it on a black cotton sweater that I was tired of, and I thought I was getting a nice blue-steel gray, but when it was dry it was sort of a weird medium green. So, I over-dyed it with emerald green... and I think I'll like it if I play with it a little bit more.

Here's a piece of fabric that was blue-almost-black with white swirls, and look at the interesting texture that showed up after the discharge process.:

This is a piece of white Kona cotton I played with, just to see how different manipulations would work -- scrunched and tied, rubber bands around different beads, and then pleated and tied. I have more fabric and colors to mess with next time I have a free day.Finally, this is a scarf that was stretched out and painted several times -- Dharma Trading sells "blank" scarves in various sizes, shapes, and patterns for dyeing along with the wonderful selection of white and black fabric, dyes, and (surprise!) an overwhelming selection of yarn. I can't believe I hadn't been there for at least 25 years...

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

What fun! THe scarf is beautiful!

DPUTiger said...

Very cool! The scarf is my favorite too! :)