Monday, May 26, 2008

natural history

I've been so impressed by the bird photos that Vicki and Wanda have been posting that I have to try again with some of my own... we don't have so many colorful species here, though!

Many of the smaller birds seem to travel in clouds -- we have chestnut-backed chickadees (see above) just about all year round and they're often flocking together with plain titmice, which I haven't managed to catch on "film" yet. This morning there was a lot of noise outside the bedroom window, and I found a flurry of bushtits playing in the bamboo hedge. They are tiny -- no more than 4 inches, and so talkative! This fuzzy photo was taken through a window screen.
Then I wandered around to the kitchen window and found some scrub jays -- note that our California version doesn't have the interesting mosaic pattern on the wings the way the midwestern ones do. We have another variety that is very dark all over and crested; I'll try to catch a picture one of these days. (pay no attention to the weeds...)
For the end of the wildlife tour, here's one of our favorite pests, cleaning up under the bird feeder.
The green beauty finally got sewn together! Thanks for all the advice... of course I didn't take most of it! I used a Karen Stone setting from her Cinco de Mayo quilt, which Helen had posted on her blog last week. I like the combination of symmetry and dimensionality in this one.
I also really liked Nancy's suggestion to quilt each square individually so that I could continue to keep rearranging them as often as I liked.

And last but not least, here's the Spring Fling Round Robin that I finished quilting and will be mailing off to parts unknown in the next couple of days. Waiting to see what shows up with MY name on it!


10 comments:

Catherine said...

I love how your green NY Beauty turned out! It really is gorgeous!

Zegi said...

The green beauty turned out perfect! You are right, it is a great balance.

Vicki W said...

I love your bird photos. It's so nice seeing birds from other regions. We don't get any of those here. Yor green beauty quilt is awesome! I'm going to have to do one of those some day.

jovaliquilts said...

Your green beauty came together really nicely -- at least when it comes to quilting, you should always listen to yourself and ignore advice you don't like!

*Angie said...

Your New York Beauty turned out beautifully. I love the green! We have some of the same birds up here in Sonoma County. I know the blue Jay you are talking about. The crest is almost black. Beautiful birds. We feed the pretty little yellow Lesser finches using one of those bright yellew sock feeders. I'll have to post a picture or two of those on my blog. They are such acrobats! I've never visited your blog before. I found you on Ms.Jans blog. Jan and I get together once a month at a mini quilting group. She is just the nicest person you would ever want to meet! Nice meeting you too!

katelnorth said...

I love those green NYBs - fab. I read on the FSQS that you are considering coming to play with my birthday swap - we'd love to have you - I bet you'd be great in the "advanced" group :)

Valerie said...

I just love your blog. I found you through Just us quilters. I am glad you joined so I can visit you often.

Belém said...

The green beauty is a great quilt. Those colors are beautiful and the green and blue combination is superb.

Pam said...

I love that layout!! It was one I wouldn't have thought of at all. Really brilliant!!

Most people I know do not know I have a blog - and the few that do know I have not given them a link to it - I am not sure why. My sister just discovered it recently and so now my mother reads it on occasion.

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Just letting you know I was here enjoying your blog and all the beautiful, fun things! *karendianne.