Wednesday, May 07, 2008

my new neighbors

A couple of days ago, I noticed a little pile of dirt on the walkway from our house down to the street, but Al had been messing around in the yard the day before so I didn't think anything of it.
Then he came home from work the next evening and asked if I knew what the dirt was from. (cue ominous music...)
Fast forward to about 10 last night; I opened the front door to call for the cat to come in, and started to walk down the stairs until I saw -- a skunk, hanging out near the pile of dirt. Oops. Back quickly into the house!
After that, I watched out the living room window as mom and six baby skunks frolicked on our front path. Apparently they have burrowed under the concrete and created a nice home for themselves. Since they're nocturnal, and we pretty much close the front curtains when it gets dark, the mom may have been there for a while! The babies are sooo cute -- and they play like kittens! Al says I can't keep any, though...
I hung out on the porch for a bit trying to get a good photo last night -- shooting through the double-pane window into the dark wasn't working at all -- and here's my best result:
I'm going to try for a better one tonight! Any suggestions on how to get these guys to move without trying to kill them?







10 comments:

Ms. Jan said...

Yikes, Julie! Sorry about the new neighbors....hope it works out with them moving, and soon!

Gina said...

I would think that they would move out on their own when they come of age.
The little ones are cute though.

love and hugs xxx

Canadian Gail said...

OMG they're beautiful. More pictures please.

Rhonda said...

I've heard of at least two ways...one the neighbors will not appreciate.....very loud music during the day while the little critters are trying to sleep....the other is mothballs sprinkled around the area.....they don't like the smell I guess.....Good luck!

Nancy said...

There goes the neighborhood! I believe they'll move on when they are grown.

We had one that lived behind the neighbor's shed and had regular encounters with our cocker one summer. The final scorecard read: Skunks 4, Canine 0

Good luck! And stay in at night!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I've heard about noisy neighbors...but never smelly ones :o) Hope it works out for you and them ;o)

Elaine Adair said...

How darling! -- sort of.

As a child on our farm, I actually OWNED 2 pet de-skunked skunks, but they made terrible pets. Nocturnal, wouldn't play in the daytime, always smelled, and ate the most nasty things, including the giant tomato worms in Mom's garden (good side of them). In the end they 'got away' but without their scent glands, their fate was not good.

I could tell you about opossums, but wait until some of THOSE show up in your yard! Good luck with the little critters. But it's still nice to see 'real' nature.

peggy said...

SKUNKS ???? eek....and I thought I had undesirable neighbors. We have a ground hog/mole family living under our backyard shed. Every time I go out with the darn camera though they hide.

Peggy

Eve said...

Maybe cayenne Pepper? I know it works for cats-but make sure you don't dump it on your plants as it amy kill them.

log cabin quilter said...

Several years ago my parents, who lived in the suburbs of Chicago, had skunks. My Mom would see them going down the driveway at night. They finally found out that they lived under the front porch. The city animal control put a trap out and caught them so they could take them into the country and release them. They are cute, though, aren't they?