Friday, May 16, 2008

it's a year for brights!

I seem to be doing a lot of swapping lately, and not working on anything for myself! Here are a couple of the current projects --

First up, the Miniature Booty Swap wraps up this month. Here is my contribution, which will be mailed off to distant shores in the next day or so:My "partner" in the swap gave very few clues, so I hope she likes it. I call it "crazy spring", and it's quilted with some of the (few) decorative stitches on my machine.
Then there's the Spring Fling Round Robin, which is also finishing up. I have this little beauty to quilt, bind, label, and mail off to someone in a country I've never been to. The flowers in the middle are folded fabric, origami-style, and the little yellow/green border is also folded and embellished with beads. I have no idea how I'm going to quilt this one!
We're suffering through one of our relatively rare heat-waves in the bay area this week. Yesterday it was up to 97 F and quite miserable since no one I know has air conditioning! Today is a tiny bit cooler. At the same time, our local water company has announced a mandatory 19% reduction in water use, due to drought conditions. Bad timing-- I have a lovely vegetable garden started and I am not going to let those babies die! I guess it's a trade-off between the water fines and the high cost of good produce in the stores and farmers markets...


7 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Lovely! Don't suppose you got my name for two swaps in a row...

jovaliquilts said...

I love your crazy spring! Such a good use of that big dot fabric.
Stay cool ...

Anonymous said...

I really like the black/pink and green quilt. Reminds me of Picasso! Good job.

Kathy B
Yolo, CA

Morah said...

I love reading about all the swaps that others participate in. I can barely finish my own measly projects and find it so wonderful that you all are able to finish things for one another. Maybe one day I'll join in this fun way of creating!

kdmade said...

Stay cool! I'd send you some of the rain that's keeping me from playing in my garden right now if I could.

In re handmade paper (something I want to try!): can you watercolor on it? Or carefully tear it into petals and assemble flowers? Or try stamping on it with a not-to-detailed stamp? :):)

katelnorth said...

Well, I know that one's not for me, as I have my booty swap quilt already (and I love it) but gosh, it's lovely & bright and funky!

ros said...

It arrived yesterday! Which was very good timing since I arrived the day before!

Thank you so much - I love the pinks and the greens and the craziness of it all. The decorative stitches are so sweet. It's really lovely and I have just the place to put it.

Now I just have to get mine in the post...