Saturday, April 19, 2008

this and that

Kim at Trueup was talking about buying fabric on EBay, so I thought I'd show a picture of the one piece of "vintage" fabric I bought there a few years ago. The strawberries are about 5 inches across and almost 7 inches high -- I can't imagine what I'll make out of this, but it was too cute to pass up. (apron, tote bag, cafe' curtains...)I haven't quilted the 4 Seasons top yet, but in the meantime I put the second border on my current project for the Spring Fling Round Robin -- now it gets mailed off to someone else to finish. I love braided borders because they can easily take on that country look, and they give you the opportunity to pull a few more colors and a little "pop" into the quilt. I had a really hard time coming up with fabrics to use in this one; the stores around here just don't do country and it's something I rarely look for myself. I left a little extra around the border and stay-stitched it to stabilize the stretchiness until it gets quilts and bound -- that's why the edges look funny!

The tomato plants have been in the ground for a week, and this afternoon I planted seeds for carrots, beets, chard, yellow beans, lettuce, lemon cucumbers, zucchini and basil. I've never really had luck with carrots, but I'm determined to make them grow one of these times! We've been eating snap peas off the vines for a while, and the pole beans will go in when the peas are done. It feels so virtuous to "grow your own" these days but the real thing is that it all tastes so much better. I can't wait for tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and basil... yum!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

The braid border looks great. I am having so much trouble with my second border project. I am thinking of posting and seeing if someone has any suggestions....

Joyce said...

i love the braided border. I have made braids but never thought of using them on the border. How wide were the strips you used?

Supermom said...

your quilt looks fantastic, even if it is Sun Bonnet Sue!

Zegi said...

The braided border is quite pretty! I'm so jealous that you are already eating your own produce...we still have just daffodils blooming in our yard.