Saturday, April 26, 2008

in & out

I haven't actually dropped off the face of the earth -- it's just that work has been really busy and I haven't been doing a lot of sewing... although I did finish up the 4 Seasons quilt for Spring and mailed it off to a faraway place yesterday afternoon!

Today I spent working on a Rebuilding Together project in East Oakland. RT is an organization with branches all over the country that does repairs and renovations at the homes of low-income elderly and/or disabled people in order that they can continue to live in their homes comfortably and safely. Each home has a corporate sponsor for the work that needs to be done -- ours had a new roof put on last week; we painted several rooms inside, painted outside trim, replaced all the locks, landscaped in the front yard, and cleaned out an entire dumpster's worth of "stuff" from the house and garage. I'm one of 30 who worked there, and I'm exhausted!

Tomorrow morning I fly off to San Diego. I have a bunch of business meetings on Monday and Tuesday, but tomorrow I'm meeting up with a quilting friend and she's taking me to Rosie's! I've been hearing about the place for years but haven't ever been there -- good thing there's plenty of room in my suitcase.

My friend is Mona, and it's sort of a funny story... she saw my name on a list somewhere and sent me an e-mail -- because she recognized my name from elementary school! This was a few years ago, and she was living closer, so we got together a couple of times and did some shop-hopping and lunch. And she brought the class photo from 2nd grade to show me. Wow. So I haven't seen her since she moved south and I'm looking forward to catching up!

I will take my camera along just in case I run into some fabric or something...

5 comments:

DPUTiger said...

Have a great time! San Diego is awesome. I always wanted to make it down to Rosie's, but never managed it. Oh, and I'd rather have work be responsible for blog silence than a stomach bug. Eww! :)

jovaliquilts said...

How great to reconnect with an old friend! I have a friend from grade school that I haven't seen in 30 years, but we discovered on Christmas cards one year that we are both quilters, so now we keep in much closer touch. I haven't heard of Rosie's -- too bad, because I was in San Diego last fall!

Nancy said...

Rebuilding Together? Small world! A good friend of ours in the Philadelphia honcho for RT and my DH has been involved with the organization for years. They do SUCH good work! I've donated quilts to homeowners, and made lunches for teams, but that's the extent of my involvement.

n, np

Elaine Adair said...

What a relief it must have been for the home owners! Good job.

So .... when can you come to MY house? LOL

Morah said...

Well now doesn't catching up with an old friend sound like a bunch of fun!!!!!!!