Saturday, March 22, 2008

Saturday miscellany

"Miscellany" pretty much describes it -- I'm feeling unfocused lately. Must be Spring!

Above is a picture of our orange tree. We're lucky enough to live in a citrus-friendly climate, and my back patio is sheltered by some high retaining walls, which makes it even better. The orange tree has probably been here for 30 years -- it produces a bumper crop every other year. This year we have exactly two fruits on the tree, but they're gigantic! These two babies are about 5" across... and just out of my reach. One of these days I'll get the step-ladder out...

On the other hand, the Meyer lemon tree produces masses of fruit every year, all year round. If you're not familiar with Meyers, they're an old cross between regular lemons and some kind of mandarin orange -- they're juicier and a little bit sweeter than a regular lemon, and they make dynamite lemon curd, lemonade and marmalade -- as well as all the other regular lemony things. I end up giving bags of them to my hairdresser, my boss, friends who don't have their own trees, strangers on the street. If you're in the area, come on by and pick a few!Bucky's enjoying spring, too, by rolling around on the dirty bricks and then transferring it all to my lap. Poor baby went for a checkup yesterday morning and we discovered he needs to have one tooth pulled ($$ yikes!$$) but he's just fine otherwise, and was very well behaved at the vet's office, even when the macaw in the next room started screaming!

On a quilty note, I'm still fussing about with the round robin -- thanks for all your comments! It helps that Margaret pointed out that it doesn't have to be a spring themed quilt; how did I miss that? I've made a few more Virgina Reel blocks for my Shakespeare in the Park quilt -- decided to get all the Reel blocks done before I start on the stars that go in between them. And I do want to try to fulfill my resolution to finish up some of the unquilted tops that are kicking around. If I keep reminding my self, and putting that in writing, will it actually happen?

3 comments:

Ms. Jan said...

I love Shakespeare in the Park and can't wait to see your quilt as it progresses Julie.
Happy Easter!
jan

Darcie said...

Mmm...I can smell their citrusy goodness right now!

The Calico Cat said...

poor kitty, my girl is down to just fangs...

They manage, she never chewed any way - which probably why she had to have her teeth removed to begin with.