Tuesday, March 18, 2008

flinging spring

The cedar bath -- imagine climbing into an enormous tub of wood shavings, and imagine it's like a healthy compost bin that creates its own heat. It smells fresh and woody (and there aren't any worms!) You settle onto a bed of this stuff and someone comes in and covers you up with more of it. It's fluffy. You're warm and relaxed, staring out a large window into a garden. ZZZZZZZ. A little wierd, and definitely a chore to clean it off yourself afterwards, but I would go back in a heartbeat! (it's cedar and rice bran and a bunch of enzymes that make it heat itself up -- I want one in my backyard...)

Okay, quilty stuff:
I'm participating in the spring fling round robin, as noted earlier. I received a center to add the first border to, a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sorta stumped! It's a lovely center, but I'm just having a hard time getting "spring" out of this dark mariner's compass... so I'm taking a vote. I have three possibilities for your consideration. (I should mention that I'm thinking about a border on just two sides, with the compass ending up at the top-right corner.) The first one is sort of a sweet but not to sweet floral. I think it goes great, color-wise, but I think of this as more summer than spring.Next up is an Asian print -- again, the colors are okay, but I think this one gets lost next to the compass.

Finally, something quite different. And -- here's the full story. I was whining to Al last night about this dilemma; he didn't like either of my first two choices. He said "let's look at your fabric". I said "I don't know if I know you well enough to let you see my fabric!". (19 years is all...) He went in and rummaged around in the shelf with yellows, and dug this out from the bottom of the heap. Hmmm. What do you think?



And in other news... I finished my orange socks! The camera seems to want to make them fluorescent -- they're really not. The second one went amazingly fast. I think my next pair are going to be Jaywalkers; I just need to decide what yarn is coming out of the stash to make them.

13 comments:

Hedgehog said...

I like the second one - it looks a little nautical to me. I'd think nautical, rather than flower. Boating is definitely spring here were the water is still covered with ice!

Gina said...

I prefer the second one. The colours are more suited to the compass.

love and hugs xxx

Kathie said...

I like the third one makes the colors pop in the compass.
sometimes you just have to go with the one you never would have thought to use!
Al did a great job.
love those socks btw!
Kathie

Andrea said...

I think Al could be right although number 2 would be good too. Great socks.

Diana said...

My vote is for the second one, too. It lets the compass stand out. Your socks look great!

Supermom said...

I think Al is colorblind and pattern deaf, just like my other half! #3 just is too busy. Personally, I like the 2nd one best, although if it were me, I'd probably mix 4-5 different fabrics so as not to have too much of any one- maybe another royal blue and a couple reds. To me, part of the strongness of the mariners compass that needs toning down is that it has so few colors, and they are all primary. I might set this one centered and on point. What fabric was sent with it? The quilt does not have to look spring-y (maybe confusion here I never clarified) - that's just the swap name :-)

jovaliquilts said...

Of the three, I like #2 the best. But a nautical or astronomical theme seems appropriate to me for a mariner's compass -- definitely doesn't seem to be a flowers-in-the-garden kind of thing! And I love the socks. I have one pair of handknit socks and they feel so good on my feet!

Vicki W said...

I actually like Al's choice best - maybe with a dark blue inner border. I think I have some of the fabric in the second photo. :)

Elaine Adair said...

The third one is strong, with bold geometric lines, just like the compass. That's my vote, although it's not very spring-y. Second choice would be #2. Can' wait to see the final version! Such fun, and YOU do the work! 8-)

DPUTiger said...

Fabric: #2

Socks: Jaywalkers are a great pattern. one word of warning -- knit about 2" past the ribbing then MAKE SURE you can get it over your heel. The pattern has no stretch to it, and it's better to find out early than late. If you knit socks on DPNs, you'll have to put your stitches onto waste yarn in order to try it on, but you MUST try it on! It would really suck to knit the whole cuff and THEN fine out that you couldn't get it over your heel!

Pam said...

A cedar bath? Actually sitting in a tub of wood chips? How interesting!!

I kind of like Al's choice - but you wouldn't want to use a great big piece because then it would be over powering I like but I like the lines it it set off the lines of the mariners compass but then there is other things going on in it as well. Good luck with it!!

Tami said...

Interesting choices. Perhaps if you set aside trying to pick a yellow fabric for now and move on to the red/orange fabric that's in the star. It's just an accent right now but maybe it'd be good to focus on for the border. But if you're set on a yellow then I vote for #2 as being the most compatible with design and coloring. Hope you're having fun with it. I'm still trying to pick out fabrics for my border. :-)

Sue said...

Love the socks! Sock knitting has turned into one of my favourite winter pastimes. I've knitted a pair in the same colour.