Sunday, March 02, 2008

Clunk

Clunk is the sound my Pfaff made just before it stopped working. I was merrily stitching along, didn't hit any pins, didn't do anything obviously wrong -- and a minute later the thing is totally jammed and the wheel won't turn. Now it's in the shop with 50 machines ahead of it in line to be fixed! There must be a plague going around...

I've just finished my second Frenchy Bag. The first one I made was the "shoulder bag" version, and I decided it was just a bit too big for everyday use. But I thought the "regular" version might be a little too small for all the crap stuff I carry around, so I made it about an inch bigger all around.

The other thing that really bugs me about the first bag is the way the inside pockets flop around, so you never really know where you're putting things. So this time I stitched down the middle of each pocket to divide it into smaller spaces and prevent it from sagging open -- note the line of stitching down the middle of this photo:
I can't wait to load it up and take it for a stroll.

I recently added some music to the blog, just to see if I could figure out how to do it. I'm not sure if it's totally annoying or not -- please let me know!



8 comments:

Vicki W said...

Bummer about your Pfaff! I hope you have a spare to hold you while it's being repaired. The only thing I have to say about music on blogs is that I don't mind it at home but it highlights that I'm not working when I'm reading blogs at work! LOL!

Gina said...

I'm enjoying the music.

Sorry about your machine. that's alot of broken machines the shop has got to deal with

love and hugs xxx

Elaine Adair said...

The music is lovely, but then, that's MY taste also.

Hope your 'baby' comes back home soon. What saaaaadddd days without your Pfaff!

Darcie said...

Ouch. Hope your machine can get repaired and be as good as new again.

Darling bag, Julie! I just can't seem to make a "perfect" one...so I just keep on a'tryin'!

Not Lucy said...

Sorry to hear about your Pfaff. I just took one of mine in for a cleaning, etc. and it is running like new (it is about 30 years old). Another (same vintage, same model actually) will go in this week I think for its cleaning. Luckily, I have a total of 11 machines so I can always sew and my service guy is retired and does it from his home so it usually takes no more than a week.

Anonymous said...

dianne said... So sorry to hear about your Pfaff. It sounds like what happened to my 7510 Pfaff which is about 10 years old. I was part way through quilting a 50th gift needed in two days when it all stopped. The machine tech told me over the phone how to fix the bobbin jam that seemed to seize the machine. It worked!!
*Put food down
*Wind flywheel BACKWARDS until machine loosens
*Don't rock it back and forwards just wind by hand backwards.
It fixed up my Pfaff's problem in no time and meant I finished the quilt on time. You may of course have another problem or even a different machine that this may not work with but perhaps if it was a simple thing you could ask your machine tech and keep this little tip written in you book as I have done. Hope your machine is purring along like a kitten very soon.

Misc. Muse said...

I love the fabrics you used on your purse. I wish I was in SF. I spent my high school days- another life time ago- down the road from you in Vacaville, CA. Linda

Morah said...

Dontcha just hate being without your machine! Mine went clunk but it was my fault!!! Love your bag. Music...uhmmm...well...you asked....the music itself is lovely but (you knew there was a but) I don't like music on blog pages because it either scares me when it starts (usually in the middle of the night when I can't sleep) or interrupts DH in the next room. Personally I find it disracting. Won't keep me from your blog though. I'll just remember to turn off the volume.