Tuesday, January 01, 2008

a sneak peek at Winter, and I resolve (not)

I've finished the top for the Winter portion of the Four Seasons Quilt Swap, and here's a sneak peek ... keep in mind that it hadn't been pressed when the photo was made! Of course I can't tell you who it's going to, but here's a hint: it's leaving the USA. I'll post another photo when it's been quilted and is ready to go in the mail.
Chili Fest was a success -- lots of people, some leftover chili for the freezer, cool and crisp weather. I love the way we can invite friends from several different "circles" and they mingle and talk and discover their own connections. That whole "6 degrees of separation" thing really happens!
I do a lot of prep work for parties, but then I'm sort of a space-case hostess once things get going. I had extra plates, utensils, etc in the back room but never checked to see whether things were running out. Forgot to have trash and recycling containers around. Put candles on the table but never lit them... and Al isn't any more attentive than I am. Luckily a lot of our friends know us well enough to know that they can find things, take the garbage out, and raid the refrigerator without us getting upset!
By contrast, last night we went to a NYE party at the home of some old neighbors; they have a party every year, and it's only a mile away, and they make incredible jambalaya and bread pudding! And -- they are professional caterers, so they're always running around making sure that there's food, silverware, champagne... and still manage to talk to everyone. Quite an achievement!
I'm not much for resolutions, but I do have a few things on my mind for 2008:
- quiltwise, I'd like to finish up some of the many unquilted tops in my closet, and improve my free-motion skills in the process.
- I finally joined a local gym recently, and I'd like to get there at least 3 times a week.
- I'd like to entertain more than once a year! Al and I talked a few months ago about trying to have a small dinner party once each quarter... we had one, and it was a lot of fun. So we need to keep that momentum going.

4 comments:

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Getting together with friends is fun, no matter the menu! One thing I like to do is to host planned pot-lucks - everyone loves to bring a favorite dish (in a certain catagory) AND copies of the recipe!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Debra Spincic said...

How is your machine quilting doing? Do you have much time to devote to it?

DPUTiger said...

Rats. I'm in the U.S., so that beautiful blue quilt isn't for me! :( I need to finish putting the house together so that we can start having people over -- both my knitting group and other friends we meet along the way!

gwen said...

Well I am not in the U.S.! Very teasing to show us just one small part. I hope you will show more soon, it looks very promising. Take care.