Sunday, January 27, 2008

home for a few minutes

Contrary to what I was expecting, my first round of travel went pretty well -- all the flights were on time and the weather was tolerable. In fact, the worst weather was right here at home! I wasn't thrilled to find a few cockroaches in my hotel room in Bermuda, but at least they were little ones and none of them seem to have come home in my suitcase...



Very little crafty stuff going on, except for some knitting. Here's a picture of a "baby alligator" scarf I'm making for my 5-year-old niece, Ivy. It comes only as a kit from Morehouse Farm and it's not very difficult once you figure out how the "scales" work. I have to say that I don't really like the yarn, though -- for a child's scarf, it's not very soft. If I make any more of these, I'll definitely use comething different. (they have some other cool kits, too; I got one for me called "rat race" but I haven't started it yet)



I have a local friend who's going to start making a Civil War Diary quilt -- and I'm sort of tempted to play along with her. On the other hand, I really want to do a Shakespeare in the Park quilt, too. I'm thinking I might do the Shakespeare quilt using Civil War reds and tans, and to that end I did a little shopping at Longs fabric department today. Longs is a big drugstore chain in California, and they have one store nearby with a fabric department that is the go-to spot for a lot of quilters. Lots of high quality flat-folds of last season's fabric at $3.27 per yard, and current yardage on the bolt from about $6-8. I found a bunch of Windham reds on the flat table, and they also had several of Marcus Bros. Civil War prints on the bolt. 4.5 yards = $21!

I've heard that my Four Seasons swap quilt is in the mail and should be arriving soon -- hope it shows up before I leave town again on Thursday! There have been some really nice photos on the Flickr site, and I can't wait to see which one comes my way...

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I've been wanting to do a Shakespeare in the Park, too, and wish I could do it now along with you. Unfortunately, there are too many other urgent projects in the queue and Shakespeare is going to have to wait until summer, darn it. Please post pics as you go along? Please?

n, np

swooze said...

I got your RR over the weekend. I am just so intrigued with the visual texture of the fabric. It is truly lovely!

Quilter In Paradise said...

Please clue me in,,, what is the Shakespeare in the Park quilt? I have been really thinking of the Civil War Diary quilt -- it's on my "TO DO" list,,, might have to move it up to do sooner!