Friday, November 30, 2007

what were they thinking?

First, proof that I did actually finish my "Trees All Around" quilt. It's very wonky because I used a leftover square of poly batting -- always a mistake for a wall-hanging, IMHO. But I like it anyway. I have a wall in my entry-way that is perfect for 24" wall-hangings, so I continue to make more of them and rotate them around.

I received my squishy from an obnoxious fabric swap today -- this is a deal where you send in 10" squares of stuff lurking at the bottom of your stash (actually, some participants go out and buy ugly fabric on purpose for these swaps!) . All I can say is "accckkk!" -- homage to Bill the Cat...
I admit to having been in three of these swaps over the last few years, and I now have a (clean) pizza box full of these squares. I put together one set of stack & slash blocks using a few of the squares, to see if the ugliness would magically blend away, but no such luck! Here's the bulk of my new squares:

Here's a few that I actually sort of like:And this is the piece de resistance -- the donor refers to this as "Y2K Baby Butt fabric":This is about the size of a fat quarter, not just 10". She wanted us to get the full effect! Why on earth would anyone manufacture this fabric?

What would YOU do with these squares?

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

That last one should be in the dictionary under "butt ugly"! I'd have to overdye the whole bunch of them.

Debra Spincic said...

Put them in a drawer and let them rest for a very long time!

Helen in the UK said...

Well if you will join these ugly fabric swaps you are bringing it on yourself!! I think you have to somehow highlight their ugliness by showcasing them. Or cut them up into really small pieces so they don't look ugly any more! I used Bonnie's pattern Bricks and Stepping stones to deal with some uglies I had :)
http://www.quiltville.com/bricksandstones.shtml

DPUTiger said...

Assuming they're all the same size, just pull them blindly out of a bag into 4-patches, etc, into a quilt that's either to give away or if it turns out OK, possibly a wall hanging?

Helen's right, though. If you join these swaps, you're bringing this upon yourself! ;-)

Nancy said...

What would I do with these squares? Send them to you!

Quiltdivajulie said...

As bonnie Hunger of quiltville.com says, there is no ugly fabric if you cut it up small enough... I'd be searching for a scrappy quilt pattern that will reduce these to small bits... and continue to repeat Bonnie's mantra over and over as I worked with the fabrics you don't like... good luck!

heather said...

I think joining a swap like that was an interesting way to stretch and grow as a quilter. You have to be brave and creative to challenge yourself that way.

What did you ever come up with?

dawne