Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lots of little stuff...

It's been a pretty quiet week here, as we segue into a new season. It's still up in the 60's every day, but the nights are cool now. Al and I are taking off for Madison (Wisconsin) next week to see his family for Thanksgiving so I'm trying to steel myself for the change in climate! I've never been back there after mid-October before -- but we haven't been for a couple of years, and the older folks are getting older... and so it goes. Possibly the worst part is not having my own turkey leftovers to play with, so I already know there's going to be a "mini" Thanksgiving at our house soon after we get home!

The family pressure can get a little overwhelming, especially for such a short visit. Luckily I have one fine friend (my father-in-law's neighbor) who I can sneak off with for an afternoon for my time-out, while Al entertains his mother! Did I mention I have two mothers-in-law? Is that fair?

My biggest quilting success of the week was the decision to hand over my giant batik jewel box top to the long-arm quilter. I had it all pinned, and it sat here for a couple of months while I tried to make myself start quilting... but at 100" square it wouldn't begin to fit on the handiquilter frame, and I just couldn't see pushing it through my machine on the dining room table. So -- it's promised for mid-January and I hope to have it on the bed by the end of that month! (I know I posted this photo before, but here it is again)
Then, I finished up this very-bright baby quilt that had been started last year. I've accumulated a small pile of baby & child quilts that are intended for charitable uses, but I have trouble figure out who to donate them to. The local guild gives a lot of quilts to the children's hospital here, so I'd like to find another outlet. A couple of years ago I gave some to a women's shelter called "Better Futures for Women and Children" -- in addition to the shelter, they help women get set up in new apartments. Maybe I'll get in touch with them again, and create space in my closet for a new stack! I like to do the various mystery quilts in child-size versions, so they seem to add up.

Finally, this is a top that resulted from a mini-group project a few weeks ago. It came from a Sara Nephew pattern, and it's called "cube in the corner" -- my version is called "Fade to Black". It's a little bit wonky -- there are a million bias edges to deal with -- but I think it will quilt out, as they say. And -- the whole thing was made from stash! Of course I haven't decided how to quilt it yet...

7 comments:

dot said...

Lovely quilts. I really like the last one. The name fits it perfectly. 100 by 100 is a very large quilt.

DPUTiger said...

Sending that thing to the machine quilter is probably a good call. I have yet to attempt a queen size myself. One because I wanted it done (you have seen in on my bed currently with photos of the new house). The second is the painful pineapple that I pieced this summer. I'd had it with that thing and couldn't stand the thought of quilting it myself.

That's fantastic that you have an "escape valve" on your trip to Wisconsin. We've discovered the best plan of attack when visiting my in-laws is to stay at the hotel across the street. It keeps me from wanting to jump out a window in their 18th floor condo.

Morah said...

OH MY!! I love your fade to black. It is my dream to make one of those....once I get over the fear of bias...and the bull in a china shop syndrome...I am very rough on fabric! LOL!

julieQ said...

Thank you for sharing your treasures!! I always plan to hand quilt everything, but am daunted by such large quilts. So often send them out for long-arming.

Thanks for stopping by for the visit on my blog!!

julieQ

Nancy said...

I am utterly smitten with your jewel box. I've been wanting to make one, and perhaps yours is the impetus I need . . . . .

Catherine said...

Your jewel box has me wanting to pull out fabrics and start one! It is gorgeous.

Elaine Adair said...

That Jewel Box is lovely - how relieving to get it to the long-arm and have it done, rather than nagging you for a while.

The cube is so visually clever. Good work.

and who is the gray-headed gentleman in your bedroom? 8-)