Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Pandemania!

Pandemania -- isn't that a great word? One of the companies I work with moved some employees across the street to a new (old) bulding recently, and I was talking with the receptionist about it. She commented on the different atmosphere in the new place... "it's so peaceful and spacious over there; when I used to go downstairs, it was just pandemania!"

This quilt is from a wonderful little swap I played in this year. It started out as a Christmas exchange including one block, and then we sent 8 more blocks on the same theme over the next 8 months. The theme I chose was "wind and water", and the blocks made by my "partner", Kendra, are truly wonderful. I think each is a little work of art, so I use a setting that really shows them off. Kendra is a designer of quilts and little quilt cards -- you can see her stuff and subscribe to her monthly fabric greeting card kit at www.klmtradeco.com

This fish became one of the monthly cards! And the block below, called "Star at Sea" is my absolute favorite. I was totally blown away by it.

I'm plugging away at a QOV quilt from a kit -- it's fabric and a color combination that I don't like; it's strip-pieced, which I don't like; and it's just not going together very well. I'm trying to decide how much I care whether the corners of the blocks line up (they don't) and whether I should pull apart the two rows I've sewn and trim the blocks like I should have done to begin with! I don't like to do shoddy work even for "charity" quilts... but on the other hand, what are the chances that the recipient is going to notice and/or care about the details that I see as imperfections? Where do you stand on this issue?

8 comments:

DPUTiger said...

1. that's a BEAUTIFUL quilt!
2. Remember, the recipient won't have the eye for detail/mistakes that a quilter would. If the seams are "close enough" that quilting will disguise the discrepancies, I'd say go for it. But if you hate it, it's NOT WORTH IT! Remember, this is a hobby and it should be FUN!

Laurie Ann said...

I think Pandemania is when a zoo gets a new set of panda bears! :)

I would just leave your QOV as is. I'll bet the recipient (especially if it is a male) will never notice!

joyce said...

Love the blue quilt! If you make enough not matching corners and cut off points it becomes a style known as wonky which I love. I say leave it and maybe add a few more "mistakes".

Pam said...

That is just the most amazing setting for a quilt. I've never seen a quilt set like that - and it is just perfect for those blocks. You've done a wonderful job of it!!!

Samantha said...

The setting really pps those gorgeous squares!

Sweet P said...

i love your pandemania quilt. I would leave it as it is.

Morah said...

OMGoodness is that a pretty quilt. I love the optical illusion quilts the best. On charity quilts...like you I don't like to make "shoddy" quilts but at the same time, I won't kill myself to get corners to match. Most non quilters would never ever notice. Plus the "better done than a perfect" issue comes into play. Are you making something for someone to keep warm, be comforted and feel loved? If so, a few mismatched corners won't change that.

Sue said...

The blue quilt is adorable, love how you've set it out.