Monday, September 17, 2007

99 bottles of beer...

Blogger says this is my 99th post. It's taken me quite a while to get here... when I started out I thought I might write every day or two or three, but that certainly hasn't happened! Maybe I'll get to 200 in less than another year and a half.

(for those readers not familiar with it, "99 bottles of beer on the wall" is a dumb counting song that people sing when driving to (supposedly) make the time go by faster. )
We've moved from Kauai to the Big Island for a few days. I love Kauai because on the north shore there's almost always a little sea-breeze and it doesn't get very humid. The last couple days on B.I. have been another story... there's been cloud cover and it's been very muggy. I'm spoiled, living in Northern California, and I don't understand how anyone can tolerate the weather east of the Rockies or anywhere with humidity! (no offense to any readers, of course -- maybe you just have to grow up with it!)

Here are a few photos from our last day on Kauai; first the ubiquitous gecko -- I love the smoothness of those big leaves:
These are taro fields in the Hanalei Valley. I think they look quite quilty, and I'm thinking about how to create an actual quilt from this.
This is a detail showing the texture of some of the newer blocks and the reflections on the water.
I really like the layers of light and shadow on these palm fronds. I've been reading Ruth McDowell's book "A Fabric Journey" which explains her process of turning photographic images into her fabulous quilts, and I'm trying to save photos that might inspire me to try some of her technique.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

Beautiful photos!

jovaliquilts said...

I love Ruth McDowell's books -- the only one I don't have is Fabric Journeys, but it's on my list! Your photos are great and I hope you do turn some into quilts.

Jeanne said...

Gorgeous scenery! Thanks for sharing. As for the humidity, I hate it. Thank goodness for A/C!

Shelina said...

Congratulations on your 99th post! Thanks for sharing the beautiful scenery photos - it is nice to be able to travel to different places while still sitting in front of the computer!

Juliann in WA said...

Congrats on your 99th post and thanks for the lovely photos!

Not Lucy said...

Whenever I see the wheat and canola fields in the Palouse region of Washington or fly over the various fields in Easter Washington or Montana, North Dakota, etc. I am inspired to make a quilt. Someday I know I will but I need to finish up some things first!