Monday, August 20, 2007

I 've got lots of progress to report on small things, because I'm still paralyzed at the thought of quilting my queen-sized jewel box quilt and I'm doing other stuff to compensate. Just like the way I used to get excited about scrubbing the kitchen floor rather than study for finals when I was in college...

First up is a quilt top made from birthday blocks from a swap last year. All the blocks have fruits and vegetables from one line of fabric. I didn't like the blocks as a group until I decided to use different colors to frame them, and now I think it's pretty sweet! I think this will be a tablecloth for my kitchen -- we have a big round 1950's formica table with a metal pedestal base that's perfect for this kind of cloth. This is a little quilt from Ami Simms' "Twisted Sister" pattern. I bought the templates years ago and made the top last year. I'm calling it "Baby Sister goes Psychedelic" and it will probably go to one of the charity spots. I love the pattern but have to admit I had a hard time getting it to go together well. All my blocks had to be trimmed down because nothing matched up and they were all different sizes. Someday I'll give it another try with a little more attention to cutting detail...
These are Larrianne's blocks for this year's Row Robin project that one of my online groups is doing. I made the bottom row -- all the blocks are 4". I love this color combination and it's going to be a really cute little quilt. Next month's row is in 30's prints, so I'll have something really different to work on!
And finally, time for something completely different! This is a crocheted bathmat from the book called "One Skein", made out of variegated Peaches & Cream cotton yarn. We're just finishing up a big two-bathroom remodel (remind me never to do that again!) and this is the guest bath. I'm working on a mat for the master bath too, in a different pattern, and not really liking it so far. (ignore the blue painter's tape -- it's gone now)

11 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I only have one completed needlepoint hanging in my house (several half-done ones) because I worked on it rather than study for a major exam one year, so I understand your delay tactics very well. But what lovely things you have to show for putting off your jewel box quilt! I especially like the row robin, very nice.

Vicki W said...

Wow! You've accomplished a lot! Love the vegatable quilt. The frames are perfect for the blocks. The black/white/red blocks are awesome!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow, lots of variety there! Those 4" blocks have tons of detail for something so itty bitty, goodness! The different colored frames really make those block swaps sing! So, even if you aren't quilting your queen quilt, you still are getting lots done! And 2 bathrooms remodeled at the same time? Your brave!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Ms. Jan said...

Nice work Julie! I love the red, white and black blocks--what a dedicated swap group you have. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Jeanne said...

Love the veggie quilt made from your Birthday blocks!

Sweet P said...

You have done a lot lately. I love the painted toes in the last photo. Great shot!

Pam said...

You certainly were busy. I think it was a good idea that you bordered each block with a different colour - the quilt looks great like that and will be a great table cloth. I love, love the little black and white and red blocks. Just stunning!!

Helen in the UK said...

The vegetable table cloth is great! I'm as bad as you for taking any type of diversion to avoid a project where I'm stuck. Take a deep breath and start it - once you get going it will probably be much easier than you thought :)

Morah said...

I'm jealous of your accomplishments. I am so not in the mood to sew, quilt, think about it, read about it....it's why I've not been around much lately. I will live vicariously through all of you.

Hedgehog said...

Just love your twisted sister! I've never done one, but I really like this one - will have to put it on the list!

Nancy said...

The fruit and veggie quilt turned out great. I'll have to remember that trick of different color frames.