Wednesday, August 08, 2007

bits of progress

I'll just start out with an artful pose by Bucky -- usually he turns around just as I'm clicking the shutter button. He's surrounded by quilting debris, as always. The thing on his collar is a magnet for the cat-door, which is supposed to keep raccoons out but doesn't succeed.
This is a mini library quilt I'm making for the treasurer of my local Friends of the Library organization. Carl has been on the board for a very long time, and has been treasurer for much of that. He's having some health problems and is "retiring" in November, although I'm sure he'll show up for board meetings. He's an incredibly generous and intelligent and witty fellow.
Last but not least, I finished up a baby quilt for my newest nephew, Griffin. I don't know if it makes any sense to send a quilt to New Orleans in August... but I did it anyway!

As you'll note in my sidebar, I joined the 4 seasons mini quilt swap. As if I didn't have enough obligations already, plus a 2-week vacation coming up in September. Since my hubby is traveling constantly (2-1/2 weeks in China right now, for work) I figured I might as well go for it! I don't know who I'm making a quilt for, yet, but I already have a good idea of what I'm going to do.

I'm toying with the idea of renting a sewing machine for a week when we're in Hawaii. We've been there often enough that I know there's practically nothing to do in the evenings where we stay, and Al will end up wanting to do some work part of the time and I'll get tired of reading... has anyone tried the rental thing?

and an update: Bloxorz level 31. Worse than ever.

8 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I tried to rent a machine for a week in California and it was incredibly expensive, but I bet there's a lot of variation in price depending on the shop. (I ended up being able to borrow one.) You might try finding shops online and checking in advance. Good luck!

I really like your bookshelf quilt! I have one on my to-do list. Yours is really charming, the extra shelf items are great.

Angie said...

What a wonderful gift to someone associated with the library. Your bookcase quilt is just adorable (and so is Bucky :>). Really cute baby quilt too! :D

Andrea said...

I know you'll be really jealous but we actually completed Bloxorz ! Joint effort of me and my 10 year old son who I must admit was much better than me - lol ! Good luck !

DPUTiger said...

I would definitely call ahead to as many shops as you can. I know the quilt shop closest to me in LA was unwilling to rent machines, but was more than willing to let people sew on the demos in the shop while they were open.

Helen in the UK said...

Love the new quilts. The addition of the cat on the bookcase is too funny :)

Rose said...

Love the bookcase quilt!!!

Jeanne said...

Bucky looks a lot like my Jasper! He sure has the posing down perfect for this picture. Level 31! I think I'm on six or seven.

Beth said...

Bucky is beautiful and your mini quilt, wonderful!!!
Bucky looks like my Bilbo (you can see him in my blog)!
Kisses from Brasil...

PS: I put your blog adress in my blog...