Sunday, July 01, 2007

4-patch revisited

I'm in two mini-groups. A couple of months ago, one group spent a day doing 4-patch stack & whack quilts, and I posted with photos here. Then the other group saw my quilt and decided they had to do a similar project! So, I found this totally cool Alexander Henry fabric when I was in New York last month, at Purl Patchwork. It's called "Jungendstil", which my arty friends told me was an art nouveau movement in Vienna around the time that MacIntosh and Frank Lloyd Wright were active. I've always had a thing about fabric that's black with bright colors, so this just jumped out at me.

Here's what my blocks look like, using the simple stack 4 layers, cut squares, sew 4-patches technique -- sorry for the sloppy picture, but I think they're fabulous! I probably won't sew them together for a while, but I'm thinking about sashing them in gray with red cornerstones... Here are a couple of other examples from our get-together yesterday -- first is from Kuniyo

And this is from Kathy, who use two different colorways of the same fabric:

I think the tropical print came out really well; the two-fabric one seems less successful (or maybe it's just that I don't like the fabric...)

I've spent the day today trying to rearrange my sewing room so that I can actually move around the table that holds my Handiquilter. I had help setting up Max-Throat last Monday and it seems to be working smoothly despite that fact that I'm kinda winging it as far as making all the right adjustments. Now I have no excuse for all those unquilted tops in my closet!

8 comments:

Ms. Jan said...

I bought this pattern because I was so impressed with your previous top and this one is just as good. I was a little intimidated by the stacking directions, but I need to get over that because this quilt rocks! Thanks for sharing!

Granny Fran said...

Love that Jugendstil fabric and the way the squares are so different. Fantastic!

Helen in the UK said...

Love your blocks - great choice of print. The tropical print is fab too. I agree that the third doesn't work as well - maybe the change of colour doesn't allow the blocks to blend as well? Great fun to see how they turn out with different fabrics :)

Kay said...

I love the Jugendstil fabric! We're going to Vienna in a couple of weeks and I have been reading up, and am looking forward to seeing the places there using this style. Maybe I need to buy some of this fabric as a souvenir in advance--if there is such a thing.

I'd like it anyway. I have some Charles Rennie McIntosh fabric that I got several years ago that is one of my all time favorites and this looks so similar. A great quilt.

Suzanne Earley said...

I really like the first fabric -- very striking.

Pam said...

The fabric you bought if wonderful - fantastic! And it looks great as a the four patch. Great choice!

Samantha said...

That's such a great technique- I love the results (and your fabric!)

Dianne said...

What a great look from the one fabric. I'd like some more information on the pattern and am curious as to what size the 4 patch block finish at. Will have to hunt it out and have a go myself. Thanks for showing the different looks from the one idea.