Monday, May 28, 2007

retreat, and progress

I spent a few days in Las Vegas this weekend at a quilt retreat for a small online group I belong to -- we're hoping this is the "first annual". There are about 17 people in the group, and 6 at the retreat. The hostess prepared a mystery for us; it involved a lot of prep in the form of squares and half-square triangles, and then we spent all day Saturday sewing... and sewing... and sewing. None of us finished -- but here's a picture of the three main blocks that make up the final quilt:
I love the way everyone came up with different fabric choices -- my blocks are in the second row, by the way. They're a combination of batiks and a pansy print and some marble-y stuff, mostly from my stash.

When I got home, I finished up my chain event mystery (from A Pocket Full of Mysteries) and it's now on the wall. I'm calling it "Icicle Chains". The quilting is all straight lines-- I thought about trying to do something fancy in those empty squares, but it just didn't seem to want it.
And -- I finally found some border fabric for "Neutrality"; it's a little bit hard to see in this picture, but its a creamy, toasty print in the "Folklorique" line by Moda.
And finally, here's the retreat mascot, Destiny. She was a real doll when I was going through cat-withdrawal this weekend -- she's very affectionate and sheds just like my Bucky does, so I felt right at home!
I'm not excited at all about going back to work tomorrow. Isn't it time to retire yet?

12 comments:

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I wish it was time to retire LOL! I am on Annual Leave and am dreading going back to work. Nice puss, and glad you got to go on a retreat.

Helen in the UK said...

Looks like you had great fun at your retreat - love all the colour scheme variations. Lovely mystery quilt finish. The border choice on Neutrality is perfect. Congrats :)

Elaine Adair said...

I CAN retire if I wanted to but ... that would be tooooo much time at home. I work about 24-28 hours a week, and that's just fine with me, and I must admit, my job is NOT stressful. I actually DREAD when I really DO retire - I would want to galivant all day, spend more $, take MORE classes and have MORE UFOs. But a few more days off ARE nice, aren't they!

JoAnna said...

Your Icicle Chains is gorgeous. And such a fun name!

(I am also ready to retire...I graduated college in '99 and have been working full time for almost 10 years now. That's enough, isn't it?)

Lisa D. said...

Sounds like a really fun and productive retreat! I just LOVE your Icicle Chains quilt - that is drop dead gorgeous!

Nancy said...

I do love Icicle Chains. What a lovely quilt!

jovaliquilts said...

Icicle Chains is a gorgeous quilt! And the name describes the quilt perfectly. Your retreat sounds like so much fun! I had a "retreat" of only one this weekend -- my husband was out of town and somehow I managed to spread my quilting projects all over the house!
Cheri

Ms. Jan said...

I love the blocks from your retreat mystery Julie--very nice. You've been really prolific lately!

Bingo~Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bingo~Bonnie said...

OH WOW you are the maker of this Chain Events Mystery???? I am on that group and of all the mysteries that was my favorite and of all the color combos - this quilt was my FAVORITE!!! Yours was even posted as the home page photo for a while, right? :)

YOU DID A GREAT JOB!!! ~Bonnie in SE Texas

Diana said...

I love the colors in your Icicle Chains quilt!

Retirement is sounding better and better to me...

Nicole said...

The blocks from the retreat are all so different! I love it when a group all works on the same project because the varying results are so fascinating.
Counting the days til my retirement too.