Sunday, May 20, 2007

progress, and advice needed

I've made some progress on a couple of tops. First is the 4-patch stack & whack from a couple of months ago -- it's now totally wild with sashing and border. I think this needs to go to a 12-year-old girl, but I don't know any at the moment so it will go in the closet for a while! I'm involved with two mini-groups; this was a project in one of them, and now the other group wants to do the same thing -- so when we meet in June I'll have more pictures to show you. I've chosen a more traditional floral print to use for the next one. And now for something completely different -- this is the row robin that my online group finished in February. It took me forever to figure out what to use for sashing! I tried out dark brown, medium brown, a combination of tans... but they all looked terrible with the wide range of neutrals in the blocks, so I finally decided I needed to move to a completely different color. I love the way this variegated stripe seems to shimmer but still lets you focus on the blocks.
Now my question is about the outer border. I have this beautiful chocolate "krystal", but *I'm wondering if it's just too dark? Comments, please?
It is a fabulous spring day today, and I should be out cleaning up in the back yard... or doing some work I brought home, or trying to file the mound of paper on my desk. Yawn. Maybe I'll go pick some oranges and lemons and make lemon-orange-ade so that I'll have something to look forward to later in the afternoon when I decide it's okay to just lounge around with a book!

10 comments:

joyce said...

I like the dark brown. It's like a frame for the quilt.

Anonymous said...

I think the brown is too dark and too much of a contrast. I'd go with one of the soft colors from the blocks...one of the medium tones perhaps.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Love your stack and whack. How about a photo of your Chevron scarf?

Vicki W said...

Love the S&W quilt - very bright and cheerful! On the other one, I vote to use something other than the brown. How about a larger orange print?

Bingo~Bonnie said...

oh flrbunda, What a PRETTY Quilt! Several members on the HGTV Quilters' message board have been working on both these 4-patch stack & Whack and also members working on One Block Wonder.

I love how all of these take on a life of their own. Your colors are so bright and cheerful and I am sure one day you will think of the perfect girl to have this quilt.

Love the lime, and blue together!!! My favorite two blocks are 3rd row / 1st block and 4th row / 3rd block.

Happy Weekend ~Bonnie in SE Texas

Nancy said...

I think the brown is a tad too dark. Am curious about the 4 patch project -- any kind of on-line directions for this? Looks to me like 4 good repeats of a nice fabric, aligned, and cut into squares and then made into sets? Any more to it than that? I like it a lot . . . .
nancymstevens@comcast.net

Helen in the UK said...

2 beautiful quilts.
Love the orange sashing you used, but I think the dark brown is too dark and overpowers the centre. How about a medium beige print for the outer border ... something to compliment the inner blocks without taking your eye away from them?

jovaliquilts said...

I think the quilt is beautiful, really beautiful, but the dark brown just doesn't work. I think a pieced border using all the neutrals in the blocks would look fabulous -- but it would be a lot of work! Then you could use the sashing fabric for the binding. Good luck making your decision!
Cheri in Illinois

Linda_J said...

By now you have probably made up your own mind about the fabric. I am not fond of brown in fabric--now chocolate, is another story, LOL.

Wow, what a difference in quilts though! Neutrals and in your face brights.

Rose Marie said...

Both quilts are lovely!

For the neutral quilt, if you had leftover fabrics from the blocks, what about making a piano key with them? The brown is just too dark and the blocks would be lost. Looking at it with the brown border, all you notice is the border and not the blocks which the focus should be on.