Saturday, May 12, 2007

now we're cookin' with gas

After how long -- 3 months? -- I finally set up my new (used) Handiquilter last night. Foolishly or maybe just optimistically, this morning I loaded on a quilt top destined for charity, thinking that if my work was a bit amateurish it would still be okay. NOT! Amateurish doesn't begin to describe it... First my thread broke about every 4 inches, then it started skipping at least half the stitches. Of course it didn't help that I kept forgetting to drop the presser foot, so I also had snarls of thread underneath.

The good news is that thanks to the wonderful people on Yahoo's Brother 1500 list, I got tips about needles, thread, bobbin tension, deep breathing... and it's going much better now. Chocolate helped, too! I unloaded the quilt top, went and bought some #16 jeans needles, found a couple of yards of cheap stuff at Joanns to practice on, indulged myself with a new magazine...

Here are a couple of photos of my set-up: very cramped! And, a technical question for you digital camera whizzes: when I fist turned the camera on this afternoon, it took photos like this: There was no error message and no low-battery message. After stomping around a bit, trying to find something in the 500-page manual, and trying to find a "help" function on the Canon website, I decided to change the batteries. It looked the same, so I turned the camera off and thought about how much I didn't want to go back to the store. Then I turned the camera on again, and it was fine! Does anyone know what this is all about? I found out recently about a project called Red Sweaters -- they are collecting tiny red knitted or crocheted red sweaters to use in art installations inspired by the war in Iraq. "Its purpose is to spread public awareness, encourage thought, and inspire discussions about war and current events without promoting a specific view. " They are trying to collect enough sweaters to represent the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq. Patterns are provided. The photo is my first one --

4 comments:

DPUTiger said...

Isn't the Yahoo! 1500 group great? I've been on that since the early days of my 1500 ownership (bought mine 9/12/01).

Looks like the cover didn't open the whole way on your camera, but that's just a guess. I'm envious of your Handiquilter setup. Maybe in my next home after June's move. I can't wait! :)

Ms. Jan said...

I agree about the camera--looks like the lens cover failed to open all the way. =)

Nancy said...

Your lens conver didn't open all the way. Mine did this for about a week last year. Just had to make sure it was open all the way before I took a picture. then it started working and I haven't had any problems since.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great job on getting started with your new set-up. I often wonder if something like that is for me, but right now - just too big!

My camera lens sometimes doesn't open all the way - I just take my finger and gently open it.

Cheers!

Evelyn