Sunday, April 01, 2007

more spring!

Here's a springy little project I started last weekend -- this is a 4-patch stack & whack, and all the blocks were made in an afternoon (including a break for coffee and strawberry shortcake!) I'm thinking about the bright yellow sashing with dark blue cornerstones, or maybe a dark blue and yellow three-rail sashing... but I'm not sure if that will be too busy-looking. Shelina wrote about this kind of stack & whack here; one of my mini-groups decided to try this because we had recently seen a lovely example at a local guild show. Here are two more sets of
blocks done by Catherine and Kathleen:


And here are some gratuitous flower photos! My garden is a big mess, but I consoled myself yesterday by wandering around and finding some nice blooms amid the chaos. This is some sort of fancy iris that appeared a few years ago -- does anyone know what it's called?
This is a Mutabilis rose -- one of my favorites. It changes from pink to pale pink, to creamy white over a period of time. It's very happy in a somewhat shady space under the arbor, and nothing seems to eat it!
Here are the blueberry bushes with lots of flowers (yum!) surrounded by the Spanish bluebells that refuse to be vanquished. I pull out dozens of the bulbs every year but they're everywhere...
Finally, this is called Boronia; it's Brazilian, I think, and is growing on an old iron window-grate that leans against a wall. It really brightens up the back corner of the patio. Each stem of the vine comes up individually from the ground and produces one spray of flowers -- and it keeps producing new stems through most of the year.

9 comments:

Kay said...

Thanks for the lovely flower pics. It's a treat to flowers so different from the ones I have.

Ms. Jan said...

Julie, I love your blocks and your friends' as well. I'd love to see your original fabric. Hint, hint.

Norma said...

I love your spring stack'n whack! I have made the hexagon SNW, but never the four patch version. I am going to have to try this one!

Laurie Ann said...

Those stack and whacks are great. I particularly like the floral fabric that you are using and think that yellow or maybe a yellowy-green will be great for the sashing.

Helen in the UK said...

Those blue/green blocks are wonderful. They will look really zingy with the yellow sashing :)

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I think the yellow with a dark corner stone will be great. I don't know about this 4 patch stack and whack version. Interesting.

Melzie said...

you have been busy as have your friends AND your flowers :) xoxo melzie

Rose said...

Wow i love ur blocks and ur flower pics....cant wait to see more!!!

Nancy said...

LOVE these little 4 patch S&Ws. This is something new to me and they are just darling!