Saturday, February 24, 2007

slumping along

I've done a few quilty things lately, but mostly I feel like I'm in a slump. Probably the weather, and too much work... I'm just not getting excited by the projects I've already started, and haven't had the energy to dive into something new. Humph!
Here's what I have done: finished the top of a "bits and pieces" baby quilt from the Quilt-in-a-Day book of the same name. My husband took a look at this and asked if it was called the "88 quilt" -- so I guess that's going to be its name. I decided that I don't like the Eleanor Burns strip-piecing method, because I have a hard time keeping things "square" when I cut the strips into pieces. I prefer the Judy Martin method of cut first, then sew for more accuracy. I think this is going to be for a step-sister-in-law's first baby, due in May.
I know that she's really into neutral colors, though, so this might be too much of a shock for her. I have another, 30's repro quilt I could give her instead -- I'm not a huge 30's fan but I really like this one and it was insanely easy to make. It's one of those things where you make big nine-patch blocks, cut them in quarters, and rearrange the pieces:

Here's a gratuitous cat picture: the towel is there for Bucky to sleep on, but he only remembers that about half the time. If I notice him sleeping on the quilt and put the towel on top of him, very often I'll come back a few minutes later and find him on top of the towel!

A friend of mine bought an old house recently, and in the back yard was a 20-foot wooden ladder which she planned to take to the dump. No way! My husband had promised to make me a quilt ladder for my birthday (2 weeks ago... he gave me an I.O.U. for it) -- so we cut the ladder into two 10-foot sections and brought it home today. He cut the rails at the right angle to lean against a wall and started sanding it -- I haven't decided whether to paint it or just apply some natural-look finish to it. I'm excited to have someplace to display a few (more) quilts -- heaven knows where there's room -- and I'll post a picture when it's up and running.

10 comments:

May Britt said...

I am slumping along together with you LOL I'm trying to preparing some new blocks but I do not feel any joy about it. I will try to enter my sewingroom again today and see if I get my inspiration back today. And I blame all the late evenings work. And I actually have brought papers home to work on to day too :(

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Love the story of the ladder - one man's trash is another's treasure! Can't wait to see a photo with your quilts on display!!!

Cheers!

Evelyn

joyce said...

It took me awhile to see the 88. Lol. Both of them are very nice. I think I need a ladder like that too.

Sweet P said...

Ooh . . . a quilt ladder. I want one of those. To think you got one for free and some labor from DH is awesome. Great job on the quilts.

Suzanne Earley said...

I'm so glad February is almost over. My slump hasn't been as bad as it was last year, but I'm definitely feeling it.

Your quilts are cute -- it took me a few minutes to "see" the 88, too. Funny...

Angie said...

What a wonderful, quick way to make a quilt--Quarter Fat Quarter quilt!! Thanks soooo much for sharing the idea! And oh, aren't you the lucky dog, 'rescuing' that ladder! Awesome!! I constantly have my eye out for those old ladders, but haven't had any luck so far. :)

Angie said...

Dang, sorry!! I got the wrong comment on the wrong blog!!! LOL YOUR comment was supposed to be that I like both of those quilts! :) And I've been in a slump for what feels like forever!!! I think I'll feel better when Spring arrives!! :)

Angie said...

Dang, sorry!! I got the wrong comment on the wrong blog!!! LOL YOUR comment was supposed to be that I like both of those quilts! :) As well as the comments about the ladder...ROFL AND that I've been in a slump for what feels like forever!!! I think I'll feel better when Spring arrives!! :) Now, that's better. LOL The Quarter Fat Quarter quilt is on Feeling Simply Quilty's blog.

Elaine Adair said...

Maybe you need some promise of spring? Both of the quilts are just wonderful - I especially like the first one.

Ladder? Hey that reminds me, my own DH made one for me -- I can post that too!

Hang in there - you'll get back your zing.

Bingo~Bonnie said...

the 88 quilt? I don't get it???

I think your quilt is so pretty - that boarder fabric is perfet!!! And with the lime, green and blue it would be perfect for a baby boy or girl. ;c) ~Bonnie in SE Texas