Sunday, February 11, 2007

home again

It's been a while since my last post -- in the interim I did a marathon business trip (4 countries in 5 days) and finally feel like I'm over the jet-lag. I've gone through sewing withdrawal, too! It's amazing how relaxing the sound of the sewing machine is after a long day doing things you don't really get excited about.
I took a little knitting project with me on the trip but never really worked on it. I did read a couple of wonderful books, though:
"The Girls" by Lori Lansens, about a set of conjoined twins, and
"Flesh and Blood" by Michael Cunningham, about three generations of an American family. Both thoughtful, beautifully written, a tad emotional...
This is a picture of the blocks I received in a "birthday block swap" in one of my little online groups. The deal is that you send everyone a piece of fabric and they make you a block. I sent each person a different fruit or vegetable fabric (double helping of garlic, you'll notice!) -- and now I'm trying to figure out an interesting way to sash/set/border them... all suggestions gratefully accepted!

13 comments:

Sweet P said...

What an interesting way to celebrate a birthday. I'll be waiting to see how you set the blocks.

May Britt said...

WOW, what a delightful fruit/vegetable garden. How big is the blocks? May be you can put them togehter only with a sashing between. And with a big fruit border around.

Anne said...

Oh...Those blocks sparkle! I think I'll have to agree with May Britt, that a simple sashing might (a soft yellow, maybe..?) be a good idea, I don't think you should set them so anything compeats with the blocks. Good luck! Please post a picture when you have figured out what you want to do, and have done it:-)

Shelina said...

Welcome back - that is quite a whirlwind tour you went through. Our little local online group is also doing a birthday block, but I didn't participate, as I have too many UFOs, swapped blocks, etc. Those blocks are really cheerful and bright.

Andi said...

Great idea to use all fruits and veggies! I would set them in black so they really POP!

Helen in the UK said...

What a fun idea. I think it will be a challenge to set them so that they meld together well. The only thing that springs to mind right now is Attic Windows? Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Samantha said...

I don't have any suggestions, but those are some really fun blocks!

Melzie said...

What a neat idea :) Very orginal. Maybe a simple white sashing and something food related for a backing :) xoxo melzie

computerpeach said...

great blocks!! maybe a twist block setting? Not quite on point, but just interesting enough to "set them off"?

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Beautiful blocks!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Debra Spincic said...

I'll be watching what you do because I have a food themed quilt in mind for my son this year. He will be graduating from college with a restaurant management degree.

Sande said...

Great blocks! And so many good suggestions. Have fun with them all.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a great way to celebrate a birthday - enjoy playing with them.