Tuesday, January 02, 2007

resolving to resolve...

I was thinking about New Year's resolutions yesterday afternoon while my husband and I were walking our usual walk to the local coffeehouse about a mile from our home. I decided that the problem with resolutions was that people tend to start out with a list of them, and it's just too overwhelming and pretty much doomed to fail...

So, I decided that I would start with one resolution, and then add a new one at the beginning of each month -- that way, I'll have a whole month to get used to each one, and make it a habit, without worrying about a whole bunch of things I'm "supposed" to be doing all at once. Here's my resolution for January: eat at least two pieces of fruit every day. That's not so hard, is it?

I have ideas swirling around for next month's resolution, but I'm going to try to squelch them until it's time to put it in writing!

I didn't finish much of the stuff on my December "to do" list, so January's looks somewhat daunting. I definitely need to do the blocks for the row robin, and the ostrich is due on the 15th; I have the ostrich figured out, but was having trouble getting my border pieces to work out to the right size, so I finally printed off a bunch of paper foundations last night. I also have a concept in mind for my first journal quilt for the 12x12x4 challenge -- but since it's "art" I'm scared to start it!

8 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

Breaking your resolutions into bite-sized chunks might just work - great idea! Good luck with your 'to do' list, sounds like you'll be very busy :)

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Julie, this is an excellent idea. It reminds me of a book I read called "Small Change" by Susan Terkel, et al., that was built on this principle.

Angie said...

I think that's an outstanding idea!! Thanks for sharing it...I just may have to join you in that. :D

Laurie Ann said...

Good idea on your resolutions. I just read an article on msn about one resolution a month for a year. Baby steps!!

Jeri said...

wow, that is a cool idea! :)

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Good idea with the resolutions. Starting a quilt can be the hardest part I think, especially if it is something different. How fear holds us back.

Linda_J said...

I'm debating if I even want to do this ostrich round---I want to applique a vine but I can't see green flowers unless I go back later and stick them on.

Time is sorta running out, isn't it?

Shelina said...

I really like the one resolution per month idea. Much more like building good habits that will last a lifetime.