Friday, December 01, 2006

a new month

How did December get here so fast? Is that just another one of those things, like my doctor keeps telling me, that just happen "when you get to a certain age"? All I can say is "slow down!"

I finished up a couple of my November projects at the last minute, but am happy to be able to cross them off my list. First is a baby quilt from Dorothy Young's "Spring Breeze" mystery earlier this year . Opinions, please: do you think the colors are okay for a baby boy? I'm not sure about the amount of purple, and the border has some pinky stuff -- maybe I'll save this one for the next girl that comes along.
Next up is the final row on a row robin -- I love doing braids, and I felt that it was a good way to get a little more color and spark into this one. I still have a row robin in process, but I have a couple of weeks to get the current row done... Everyone's starting to talk about goals for 2007. I don't think I have goals for specific quilts -- other than to continue trying to finish some UFOs -- but I keep thinking I need to be less of a quilty dilletante. By that I mean that pretty much every quilt I make is different; I don't have a a "style" of my own. I'd like to try working on a series of some sort, or at least a process where I can see some continuity from one project to the next. I'm not sure how to do this, really, but it's what I'm going to be pondering in the next month or so...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great for a boy.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely quilt...I think it'd be fine for a little boy...the colors are strong enough to be interesting for a small one of either sex.

BTW, I loved your photo of the quilted bag, too. If you find the instructions, I'd love to have them!

Your comment about Black Cat Quilts made me nostalgic for the SF area...even though I'm settling in well in Australia, there's NO place like the SF Bay Area!

Anonymous said...

I think your quilt would be fine for boy too.

Sweet P said...

I think the quilt is OK for a boy.

I've been thinking about doing a series of quilts myself. I think it's an intriguiging idea.

Patti said...

I think it would be just fine for a boy. Who says purple doesn't work for a boy? As Dianne says, the colors are strong, and I'll add on the dark side. I don't think it looks feminine at all. Besides, I know a lot of guys who like a touch of pink!

Susan said...

I would think it would work for boy or girl.

I'm not thinking about 2007 yet! I have to finish 2006 first. =)

Anonymous said...

I'm off goals! I don't need the pressure. I was interested to read your comment about doing a series of quilts - I feel a bit that way too, but then by the time I finish something I am usually so over it that I never want to look at it again! Plus I find I need to push myself to try something new as I tend to not try new techniques - I suppose it is a confidence issue. Usually once I do it I enjoy it. I know that I think too much about stuff which gets in the way of 'doing'. I'll be interested to see what you do.

Anonymous said...

cool quilts--you know I dont think anyone of our two groups of 7 did a Christmas theme. Kinda surprising.

I dont think that the first one looks girly at all.

Laurie Ann said...

I think that quilt would be perfect for a boy!!

Yeah, too soon to think about 2007 at all! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the Christmas quilt, especially the braid. Beautiful.
Lois

Anonymous said...

My son loves purple! My hubby has issues with pink and purple, but I think he's the exception.

Liked your Christmas quilt alot! Really crushin' on the braid!

Laurie said...

Julie, I love that braided border! I'm going to have to try that sometimes.

Shelina said...

I think the quilt would be grat for a boy or a girl.
Thanks for the pattern of the bag. I'm might just have to make a bag like that.
Interesting idea to develop a style or theme to your quilting. Seems like you are learning quite a lot of different techniques in your quilting. Maybe you can try combining them. I don't know what my quilts would say about me if anyone saw just one, since, like you, they don't seem to have a coherent style. But I hope as a whole they would say I am multi-dimensional, flexible, and open-minded.

Helen in the UK said...

Congrats on your Spring Breeze finish - like your interpretation of the borders :) I did the small size during the mystery and have just started on a queen size as I loved the pattern. Great santa too :)

Angie said...

I love these!! You do an awesome braid. I haven't tackled that one yet. Still new to a lot of things. That braid really sets off that quilt though!!