Friday, December 29, 2006

MEN!

My husband and I have been married for 16+ years. We get along remarkably well, considering how different we are... I joke about it being due to the fact that he travels so much, but that's probably not really a joke! Since we were both in our late-30's when we got together, and it was the first marriage for both of us, we had a lot of time to get things out of our systems and learn how to be independent. We both work, keep separate bank and credit accounts, have no children, and he's really even-tempered -- all those things help, too.

BUT (and you knew there was a but coming!) he is an absolute clueless fool sometimes. He's kind of the absent minded scientist type -- can go for weeks without looking at his mail; if I didn't pay the bills we'd be in big trouble. And what did he do this time?

He took my quilt to the post office on Tuesday to mail it to Road to California. I packaged it up and gave him instructions about delivery confirmation, insurance, and when it needed to be there. I had priced it online and figured that "Priority" would be just fine.

He came back later that day and said he'd sent it "Express" at twice the price because the PO couldn't guarantee that "Priority" would get the 400 miles from here to there by January 5. Okay, cool. But... he has no idea what he did with the receipt! So I have no way to see if it arrived, and no insurance recourse if it gets lost or damaged! I know that he probably just mindlessly crumpled up the receipt and threw it in the trash on the way out of the post office, but he has no recollection at all.

(I did send an email to the Road2CA office to see if they would tell me if it had shown up -- my past dealings with them haven't been very satisfying, so I don't know whether to expect an answer or not; their office seems to be understaffed with surly people!)

I'm sure I'll calm down any minute now! We're having a big Chili Fest tomorrow, so I've got to go get started by chopping a ton of onions. After that, I'll be in a really good mood!


Postscript: 3 hours later... I've been very good about all this, really! No yelling at all, just a calm suggestion that he look in his jacket/pants/shirt pockets for whatever he was wearing that day -- which he assured me he had done several times! Just now, he came in and handed me the receipt. pause. where was it? pants pocket. gotta love this guy!

9 comments:

Patti said...

So glad he found it! Sounds just like a man!

Kim said...

Amen. (this sounds like my household)

joyce said...

I have a similar one. I keep track of things and spend a lot of time looking for (his) stuff. Lately I have been replying "I don't know where it is" to that old question, "where is my...And it sounds from the other comments that you are not alone.

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

Thank God he found it! Hopefully it won't be needed, of course. I do have to admit that in my house, I would probably be the one losing important papers. In general, I am much more organized than DH, but he is very, very careful with any important papers. Me,...well, not careful enought!

Sweet P said...

My DH is somewhat the same. Hardly opens his mail, but he always knows what's going on. I pay the bills and he writes the rent check. He never throws away receipts since he has to keep them for travel expenses, but about once a quarter hands them all to his assistant who has take about a day to figure out what trip they belong too!

Ms. Jan said...

Close one! Good thing he found it, we'd hate to have to visit you in prison!

Pam said...

Good to hear the receipt was found. I hear you with husbands - even with everything written on a list I find I don't always get exactly what I wanted. I don't know why they have such difficulty following simple instructions.

Debra Spincic said...

Like Ms. Jan said, Phew! Close one!

Do you have a link to the quilt that was accepted?

Fruit Jar Nicky said...

I've been married for 17 years to a man I suspect has ADD. It's terribly stressful at times to be the one that always has to "remember." Wouldn't trade him for the world though!

Glad you got your receipt.