Sunday, November 12, 2006

weekend update


I finished up my Japanese Puzzle quilt last night and figured out how to hang it -- it's got a triangular frame made of dowels and flexible tubing. Thank goodness for old-fashioned hardware stores!

I don't usually show close-ups of my quilting, since I usually don't do anything very interesting... but I do sort of like the way this came out. Each of the diamonds has one of those loopy things in it; the beige border has stipples, and the red border has a border-ish design. I've discovered that the stencils I've been collecting do work pretty well with a chalk pounce, if I don't try to mark too much at once. For the red border I just marked the arcs with a white pencil and did the rest freehand, so I could mark the whole border at one time.

I'm continuing to plug away at my round robin and row robin, although the group seems to have agreed to extend the deadlines by two weeks for November and December -- so I'm not feeling too rushed.

My more immediate concerns center around Thanksgiving dinner... who's bringing what, and will our good friends (now divorced and in mediation over financial issues but still both planning to show up with their two kids) behave themselves? It's just a little too stressful for my taste. After a long phone conversation with the (ex) husband, my hubby came in and said "could we please never get divorced?" -- gotta love that guy!

11 comments:

Angie said...

You're a brave soul, taking on your friends that getting divorced, for Thanksgiving!! LOL Being the wife of an attorney, I know of which I speaketh...but what's one to do when "they" have been such close friends for so long...I'll be thinking of you. :D Love your Japanese puzzle.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty quilt! Unusual, too. A colleague just came in and told me T'giving is next week. Ye gods. I hadn't realized it was coming up that quickly!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Julie. I wondered how you would be able to hang your piece. Thanksgiving IS coming up quickly--where has the year gone. It will seem like any other day around my house as we aren't having guests in or going anywhere but still a far amount of planning does go into a holiday meal.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this quilt! I might even try it one of these days. Good luck with T'giving and the friends. Hopefully, they will think of the kids first and behave. =)

Anonymous said...

Very nice quilt, I love the colors.

Fruit Jar Nicky said...

I really like the Japanese puzzle quilt.

Good luck with your Thanksgiving. Sounds like you'll have your hands full.

Happy WIP Wednesday!

Susan said...

That came out great! I still love the colors and design.

I hope your Thanksgiving turns out to be wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Isn't this a neat pattern? I made a wall hanging of it last year and had a very difficult time finding a quilting design. I like your solution.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Love it. No matter how hard I try, I just can't help but love Japanese fabrics. The rust ones are great with the beige and indigo.

Anonymous said...

all those teeny diamonds! your a patient soul:)

The Calico Cat said...

I just got this pattern & template...