Friday, November 03, 2006

No-vember

There's been an old poem running through my head, but I could only remember the concept and not the poem itself.... it's about November, so I Googled "poem november" and up it came! November - the miracle of modern technology. Now, if I could just find that old song (late 60's, early 70's) about a jazz combo that included "wild man of Borneo on drums".

It's definitely November here -- we had our first rain this week, the leaves are finally turning, and oh! it gets dark before I leave the office, which is really depressing.

I've been sewing bits and bobs of things. One of my plans for this month is to make purses for the various female relatives & a few friends. Here are a couple of the new ones I've finished. So far, they're all from Lazy Girl Designs, although I might just branch out a little... These tropical bags are part of the "Pursenickities" pattern, and they're for my step-mother-in-law, who like to take cruises. These were insanely easy to make!

This is a "Summer Tote" for my mother-in-law, who's a professional cellist. You might notice that I have TWO (count 'em 2) mothers-in law -- which would be much less amusing if they didn't both live 2,000 miles away! Actually, they're both perfectly nice, but...

The Summer Tote would have been easy except that my sewing machines didn't like it. You fuse two pieces of cotton together with a product of your choice, and I chose the wrong one. I used the heavy-duty Heat & Bond -- which turned this into something like awning canvas. I kept switching to larger needles, and tried two different machines, but I still had a lot of trouble with skipped stitches. If I make another one of these, I'll use something much lighter, like Stitch Witchery. Also, the handles seem a bit floppy and insubstantial compared to the heavy body of the bag, so I may take them apart and try to beef them up somehow.

Finally, since everyone's been showing off their cats lately, here's a picture of Bucky, hard at work. He's usually pretty good about not sleeping in my fabric (and I'm pretty good about keeping the door closed!) but he does like to hang out on the desk and explore underneath among the tangle of wires.

Tomorrow is a quilt day with one of my mini groups. I think I'm going to take a break from the things on my to-do list and play with a smaller version of Judy's Leaf Season hour-a-day quilt from last month.

7 comments:

Sweet P said...

You have some lucky women in your life - those bags are gorgeous. You cat looks like he is in the one in charge only you don't know it.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful totes! I want one! I've made the Country Tote by Indygo Junction and The Joy of Sacks by Tammy Tadd but haven't tried a Lazy Girl pattern. You give me inspiration!

DubiQuilts said...

Your totes are great. I want 1 too.

I have paper weights on my desk but Bucky is so cute!

Laurie Ann said...

That's quite a cute expression Bucky has on his face. Kinda a mischieveous (sp?) look. Cute!

DPUTiger said...

I have a had a Summer Tote in pieces for months. Used Steam-a-Seam Light, my favorite. Wonder when I'll get back to it?

Bucky is adorable, and I'm not a cat person. Thanks for sharing! :)

Sheila said...

Your bags are fantastic!

Maybe this link will take you to the info for the 'Wild Man...' song.... beware it's long.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3647630

dineke said...

Lovely bags you made.
One look at Bucky tells me he knows that's not a place he is supposed so sleep at.