Wednesday, September 20, 2006

wasted days

What a week! Monday I had a jury notice and for the first time I actually had to go in. Usually I just call up the night before and the message says I'm not needed and I'm off the hook for a year.
I set off the security alarm going into the courthouse -- it must have been my underwire bra because I didn't have any other metal on me...

Then I sat from 8:30-11:30; they gave us 2 hours for lunch and then I sat for another 3+ hours. I wasn't in the first group they interviewed and they told everyone to come back on Tuesday morning. It was going to be a short misdemeanor trial.

Tuesday morning I woke up with sinuses so bad the room was spinning before I even got out of bed. I've had a little vertigo before but never this persistant. After calling the HMO advice nurse to make sure I wasn't dying, I called the court and left a message that I wasn't going to show up because I couldn't see straight, let alone drive! So then I spent the day watching bad daytime television and popping Sudafed and Advil and drinking water. I felt a lot betting today but decided to stay home anyway!

It was wasted time, though, because I really didn't feel like doing any sewing until this evening. I finished the piano key borders on my jewel box quilt, and once I get the final (plain) borders on, I'll post a photo. I have to decide if I'm going to quilt this puppy myself or not -- I'm envious of all of you who can just pop their tops on the longarm! I do have a Brother 1500 with an extended throat, but it's still going to be an operation to maneuver a queensize quilt in there.

The one cool thing that came from jury duty was this:There were guys outside the courthouse handing these out -- when I got the second one, after lunch, I told him "I'm really hoping I don't this information!" He replied "that's what they all say..."

8 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Love those BLANK! Sometimes I think I'm losing my language living outside the country - things that go around your neck, but are for keys....! Hope you never need the info! Looking forward to seeing the quilt. Also becoming increasingly jealous of those folks who can pop their tops on the longarm....

Sweet P said...

What an awful to being the week. I hope you have a better weekend. Those key holders are cool (or whatever they are called).

floribunda said...

yeah -- I don't know what those things are called either! I think they're for keys but I've also seen people wearing ID tags on them.

Linda_J said...

Hope you are feeling much, much better and done doing your civic duty this week.

For the longest time after we moved here my husband didn't want to change his voter registration card because he was afraid he might be called for jury duty. I did mine in the first week we were here. It was between presidential elections so he waited. Yep, he got called and I have yet to get the notice.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

What a wretched week. Love the Bad Boys (lanyard?)

Laurie said...

Giggle. I want one of these tag holders!! (Or whatever they are.)

Hope you're feeling better. Hard to quilt when you feel rotten.

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Well, Julie, I stumbled onto your blog from the comment you left on Jan's, and spent quite a bit of time wandering around and reading your stuff. Have now noted you in my blogarithm and will be back OFTEN! Great blog, GF.

Onnie said...

LOL about your underwire setting off the security system. That would happen to me!