Tuesday, August 29, 2006

grrrr

Blogger is making me crazy! I've been trying for two days to add photos. Now all of a sudden it works -- just when I was about to write another whiny post!

As I might have mentioned before, I've gotten myself into 4, count 'em 4 round robin things, all starting at the same time! What was I thinking? The only thing that makes this not completely insane is that one is the "ostrich" round robin which allows a good two months for each round, and I don't have to package it up and send it to anyone.

First up is from my local mini-group. We've had a couple of successful round robins in the past, and one spectacularly bad one! The group has 5 people with different design sensibilities and different levels of quality-tolerance, so it's always a surprise to see what you get. The center block I came home with is here (made by Susan):The theme of this RR is "stretching tradition", from a book of the same name (I don't remember the author) -- the idea is that you take elements of the "center" block to make more blocks for the quilt and/or make the same block in different sizes. So, it's up on my wall waiting impatiently for inspiration.

Then I'm in an online group that decided to do a row robin and a round robin... I'm the hostess for this, and I really wanted to do the row, but since only 3 others signed up for the round I ended up in both -- aren't I a pushover? My row was the all-neutral one I showed you a couple of weeks ago; here's the first one I received in the mail (made by Lynn)-- again, I don't really know what I'm going to do with it. I don't "do" applique, so I just need to come up with some complementary pieced blocks. I'm thinking something leafy.


And last but not least, here's the first center block I received for the round robin (made by Michelle) -- love that batik! I've already figured out a diamond border for this using EQ5 and I have the paper foundations printed out. The colors are a little tricky, but since September 1 is coming soon I foresee a little fabric-shop expedition in my future for just the right shade of green...

As a special treat (ha ha) here's a picture of the last round robin my mini-group did. Everyone had these very "arty" center blocks, and when I pulled out my happy face center it definitely changed the mood! I only did it to annoy everyone, in a fun sort of way -- honest!

(growling again -- I tried to add one more photo and it flaked out on me again...).

4 comments:

Linda_J said...

each so different, aren't they?

I've got a deadline with the awful thing I have to work on--parts are okay but this last round---oh, my! worse of all, I am scared to measure to see just how much inconsistently off it is.

Have you looked into using Picassa or photobucket or one of those things for loading pictures? Blogger is just so tempermental.

Sweet P said...

I like your Smiley face quilt. I've done one Round Robin and I have my finished top, but I do need to finish it.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I'm not brave enough to join a round robin. Your smily face center block is fantastic - love how that turned out.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Laurie said...

You have a lot of guts to do Round Robins. I never trust myself to improve on somebody else's ideas!!!